All shares incorrectly marked 'locked'

Eric Johnson

Cadet
I've rewritten this post because the problem here has been identified, and most of what I wrote was unimportant, and there was no conversation.

I have encrypted datasets in my pool that are deliberately locked. The typical use case for this is a backup of a remote server, perhaps not even one owned by you. In my case, I'm backing up an Ubuntu box with an encrypted ZFS root (all done through the installer). I use a replication task (made through the TrueNAS GUI) to back up the other system into TrueNAS.

Side note: the dataset on the remote machine that I was backing up wasn't actually mounted to /; it wasn't mounted at all. It is the rpool/USERDATA dataset.

The dataset I'm backing up is mounted to / on the remote machine.
TrueNAS sets the altroot property on your pools to /mnt.
So there's a (locked) dataset backed up to my TrueNAS that has the mountpoint property set to /mnt, and this leads TrueNAS to claim that every path under /mnt is locked, and won't allow you to share anything or set home directories.

For now, I've changed the mountpoint property to something else on all the datasets I've backed up, and I unchecked the "Include Dataset Properties" box of the replication task.

This is https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-109248

Last edited: