SOLVED AFP Write Issue on First Attempt

korrupto77

Explorer
Hi Gents,

I'm conscious that AFP has so many issue and most of MAC users has jumped to SMB, then I'll thank You all in advance to pass over and be focused on the topic.;)
When I mount an authenticated AFP share and try to write a file, Finder ask me for user and pass nevertheless i'm already connected. Doesn't matter if I'm re-authenticating one more time or not, the first write attempt fails with error -43 (Finder). Neither error on Freenas console nor strange issue on afp.log are highlighted. If I retry the second time, it starts to write normally during all the day. The fault is given only after new mount.

Thanks for Your support and Regards

Update 1°:
It seems that issue is caused by "nested dataset" that is clearly mentioned on manual (Table 11.1.1 "Do not nest additional pools, datasets, or symbolic links beneath this path because Netatalk does not fully support that"). In my case, I've got a main dataset which contains other sub-dataset, and in some case a sub-sub dataset with different permissions (only mac or unix style, no ACL's are present) . I guess the point reside in the authentication process whereby different combination of user-group confuses finder and keychain.

I keep going with tests and I'll let You know about any news. Any help will be appreciated.
Regards

Update 2°:

Finally I've decided to create a dedicated afp share to each dataset instead to use multiple dataset with sigle share. Of course is quite it takes some time but in this way i can really fine tune permission and avoid any conflict due to netatalk limits.
I hope my work can ben helpful for someone else.

Regards

Last edited:

seanm

Guru
I've never used afp on FreeNAS, but I can tell you what error -43 is. From your Mac Terminal:

$ macerror -43
Mac OS error -43 (fnfErr): File not found

though I guess that doesn't help you much. :(

korrupto77

Explorer
I've never used afp on FreeNAS, but I can tell you what error -43 is. From your Mac Terminal:

$ macerror -43
Mac OS error -43 (fnfErr): File not found

though I guess that doesn't help you much. :(
Thanks in any case