AFP(FAST) vs NFS(SLOW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanix

Dabbler
I'm getting over 100Mbps when transfering files to my FreeNAS AFP shares, but when transfering the same files to a NFS share, I get half the transfer rate (50Mbps write, 80Mbps read)

Why is this? I read that it has something todo with NFS sync. Also that you can disable this, "sync=disabled", but this might impact ZFS integrity. Is this true? How can I increase the write rate to my NFS shares?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why is this? That's your guess and up to you to find out. There's a laundry list of possible causes. And you didn't help yourself out by not providing ANYTHING as requested from the forum guidelines. So feel free to go find those and post all that info for us.

sync=disabled doesn't need explaining yet again. There's a search button in the top right corner. There's quite a few VERY good explanations from prior threads. I'd highly recommend you go read those.

As for how to increase your write rate, you gave me nothing except the proverbial "my car is slow". That doesn't help a mechanic diagnose a problem at all. Post those forum guildelines stuff and you might get somewhere.

And you might want to make SURE you aren't mixing Mbps with MBps. One is far faster than the other. One means a slow system and one means you have hardware problems. If you are using wifi and have Mbps, then everything is fine. On the other hand if its Mbps and is on Gigabit LAN then you have a problem. But if its MBps and on Gigabit LAN then nothing is probably wrong. Attention to details is the key.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you can provide all the info I requested above we might be able to help. But as it stands, there's nothing to go on. In fact, I could maybe even assume its not broken at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.