AFP Connection limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

samadmin

Cadet
I have an issue with FreeNAS 8 where if more than 20 users try and connect to the server at the same time the 21st cannot and the login screen will shake as if to show the user the password is incorrect.

I have researched into this issue and apparently with FreeNAS 7 there was a way of changing command_args="-F ${afpd_config}" via the webgui file editor however as there is no webgui file editor I have to ssh into my server, locate the same file given in the FreeNAS 7 example (etc/rc.d/afpd) so to alter the amount of connections to the server. The only issue I have is that I cannot seem to find the code to change the connection limit.

Has anyone else had this issue of a connection limit to AFP shares in FreeNAS 8 or knows where I can alter the code to allow more than 20 concurrent connections?

Perhaps the location of this variable is different or it has been written differently in FreeNAS 8 to FreeNAS 7.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Samadmin,

The variable you mention is for the location of the config file. I don't use Mac or AFP, but I think this is what you need to do. From the command line at the console:

mount -uw /
cd /conf/base/etc/local
Edit /conf/base/etc/local/netatalk.conf
Uncomment the line that says: #AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=20
Change the 20 to the number of users you want
Save the file
Reboot

If that doesn't fix it, post back and I'll look at other options.

Edit: If you're using ssh, you'll need to 'su' before doing the other stuff.

samadmin

Cadet
Hi Samadmin,

The variable you mention is for the location of the config file. I don't use Mac or AFP, but I think this is what you need to do. From the command line at the console:

mount -uw /
cd /conf/base/etc/local
Edit /conf/base/etc/local/netatalk.conf
Uncomment the line that says: #AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=20
Change the 20 to the number of users you want
Save the file
Reboot

If that doesn't fix it, post back and I'll look at other options.

Edit: If you're using ssh, you'll need to 'su' before doing the other stuff.

Brilliant! Thank you protosd for the advice, I now no longer get complaints for employees! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.