Advisability of WD Model WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 to replace failed drive (temporarily or permanently)?

hunter

Explorer
Hi,

I lost 1 drive out of 7 in my Z3 array. All I have on hand today to replace it, is a WD Model WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 that came out of a WD external drive enclosure that has not been used that much. The rest of the drives in the array are models I know people have success with like WD Red drives and HGST drives.

If it was your array, I just wondered first, would you use this model as a permanent replacement? & if not, and it would take 5-6 days to receive a drive by mail, would you think I am better off replacing the failed drive with the WD I have available just for the 5-6 days it will take to receive another one?

I found a HUGE thread about WD "Green's" from 2014 but it seemed kind of speculative at that time and I'm not even sure if it applies to the drive I have. Any help from those more experienced with drives would be greatly appreciated!

Adrian

Contributor
If it a green, it is probably parking its heads after 5 seconds of inactivity and reducing its life.
I used to run a machine with greens, and had a python script which accessed the drives every few seconds, and later used wdidle to disable this behaviour and set TLER.
If it were my RAIDZ3, I would probably wait for the new drive to arrive and be burnt in.

hunter

Explorer
I reviewed the smart data for the drive, it labels itself a Green there (even though the physical label is all white). I also see a pending sector so another reason to wait for a new drive. Thanks for sharing your expertise @Adrian.