Adding a separate drive just for movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wad2k

Cadet
I'm new to freenas and just spent only a couple hours setting up and testing and still learning. Seems simple to use so far and I'm making good progess.

Freenas with Current hardware ts140 with 8gb ram and two 4tb WD red harddrives setup ZFS mirror

This will be replacing my current setup which is used to store pics, home video, music , downloaded movies and being shared with a few computers. Also shared with WD live and PBO for watching the downloaded movies.
The main reason I am setting up freenas is to safely store and to and backup the most important stuff above which is just the pics and home movies. The other not so important purpose is stream the downloaded movies to the wdlive and pbo. I plan on trying plex with freenas at some point.
Right now it is being done on desktop which has a separate 1tb wd hardrive that contains the media mentioned above.
When my freenas is setup, I really won't have much use for that 1TB hard drive that holds everything so I was thinking....would there be any benefit to use that just for the downloaded movies.

The pics and home movie are accessed once every couple weeks but the downloaded movies are streamed every other day. So if I kept those movies on a separate HD, the 2 drives with the "important data" will have limited use.
Any thoughts?
thank in advance!

solarisguy

Guru
If the non-mirrored hard drive contains only disposable data, then yes you can have it in FreeNAS. Just remember that FreeNAS operates on ZFS volumes = no NTFS. And disks are preferably attached internally through SATA or SAS, i.e no external boxes connected using USB cables.

P.S. If the data is really of value to you, then you may want to consider a three-way mirror (it really depends on your backups).

Status
Not open for further replies.