Adding a Drive to turn an existing Stripe into a Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A. It is quite rude to keep bumping your own thread to get someone to respond.

B. Set it all up again, or use zfs replication to another server/box.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
The way to get the middleware to recognize what you've done is to use the GUI to detach the pool, do CLI work behind the scenes (use CLI to import, do stuff, then export) and then use the GUI to import.

The problem is that when you detach using the GUI, all your share, snapshot and replication settings related to that pool go away. So take a system config backup prior to detaching and import the config after you've imported it.

Bjonness406

Dabbler
A. It is quite rude to keep bumping your own thread to get someone to respond.

B. Set it all up again, or use zfs replication to another server/box.
Sorry man, I was annoyed since I could not get it to work. It is not your fault, but mine. Sorry about that.

@Bjonness406 I thought you had your answer. Backup your data, rebuild your pool as a mirrored VDEV, then restore your data. How you back it up is up to you. You may use the 'Backup data' option, details in the doc: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_system.html?highlight=backup#advanced
Ok, I have used the backup data option now, and all my data is on a external harddrive. How do I rebuild my pool? Can you link me from the doc or give me a short guide? I am not sure where to look.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
How do I rebuild my pool?
The basic sequence is to detach the pool and check the box to mark the disks as new (to allow ZFS to reuse them). Then you can create a new pool using a different vdev layout.

Bjonness406

Dabbler
The basic sequence is to detach the pool and check the box to mark the disks as new (to allow ZFS to reuse them). Then you can create a new pool using a different vdev layout.
Ok, I have done this now. How to I "import" all my data from the harddrive connected to my pc?

Last edited:

Bjonness406

Dabbler
Are you aware that there's a user guide for FreeNAS?

In your case, item 12 on the console menu is probably what you're looking for.
Yes I am. I had no idea white to look inside the uker guide, so I asked if someone could point me to there it was.
I thought it was an option in the GUI, and I would not need to use the console.
You don't need to be rude.

I ended up setting up the whole thing again earlier today anyway, but Thanks for the help :)

Bjonness406

Dabbler
What he said was hardly rude. It just appeared that you were not reading the documentation, considering the questions you were asking (nearly everything is covered there)
I was asking for some help to find it in the doc, and then he ask if I know that it is a user manual, I think that is kind of rude. I just had no idea where to start looking in the manual, sine I could not find it in the storage part of it.

Let's stop it here, it is enough OT and if this thread continue we will just get mad at each other. No point in that ;)
Thanks for the help anyway.

/thread

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I was asking for some help to find it in the doc
You never said such a thing. what you asked was:

How to I "import" all my data from the harddrive connected to my pc?

using the documentation and the LINK you were provided when you asked that question would have pointed you to exactly how....the documentation has a search feature.
Let's stop it here, it is enough OT and if this thread continue we will just get mad at each other. No point in that ;)
Thanks for the help anyway.

/thread
considering it wasn't even your thread to begin with...consider the thread done.

Status
Not open for further replies.