Add iSCSI share to existing configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phred_T

Cadet
I'm new, reading, and still learning so take it easy on me please...

I currently have a RADIZ3 volume set up for 1 pool/volume using a CIFS share. Everything seems to work great and I have this volume about half full. All of the current available space is assigned to this 1 volume/share. Due to the way windows media center only allows iSCSI targets for live TV buffering and DVR recording I want to add an iSCSI share. If I currently have all my available RAID space set up to be used by the one volume I use for CIFS, can I somehow add a iSCSI share? What is the suggested way to do this? Do I/can I shrink the CIFS volume then add a volume dedicated for iSCSI? I'm a little lost and want to ensure I don't lose any of my existing data in the process.

Thanks!
Derek

cyberjock

Inactive Account
CIFS shares don't have "volumes". If you've reserved space on a dataset that is shared by CIFS then you need to remember that the CIFS shares and the dataset are not the same. ;)

As for iSCSI you can just create it and as you move files over to the iSCSI extent it will grow in size. BUT, if you don't like the end result you will NOT be able to shrink the iSCSI extent except to delete it. So keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.