ACPI Gub2 problems

FreshSmith

Cadet
I am having a problem in getting FreeNas version higher then 9.2.1.9 to install. I get the grub2 splash screen and afterwards the system hangs with ACPI BIOS error 8bug): A valid RSDP was not found ... see attached screenshot. The server I try to update is an IBM X3560 M3 with two 6 core Xeon processors. The system has the latest UEFI BIOS installed. I already tried to disable the C2 and C3 ACPI parameters for the processor and turn off hyper threading. I turned off a CPU and let it run with one core ... no chnages.

I deactivated ACPIvia grub editing which leads to a boot until I get an event timer error.

As I said the system is running fine with X64 installation of Freenas 9.2.1.9 using the old grub version 1.

Has anybody an idea how to fix this isssue?
The old version is running fine, but I have integrated an Intel 10GBe adapter which should bring much more performance. The adapter is recognized correctly, but the perfomance is 100kb/second ... i assume this has something to do with the Intel driver embedded on the old FreeNas version.

I would be glad if someone gives me a helping hand on that.

FreeNasBiosACPI.JPG

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I asked one of the developers about your panic. He read it and said "well, this violates my 'old hardware gets old operating systems, new hardware gets new operating systems' mantra". He said the issue is there s a BIOS bug that the new OS hates and you need to either get a newer BIOS or get newer hardware. :/

You should get far more than 100KB/sec from your NIC. I've never gotten less than about 150MB/sec except when I expect to have poor performance (slow hard drive on my desktop, for example).

FreshSmith

Cadet
Hm, the hardware is 3 years old. Sure that it will work with a newer hardware? The old grub works perfectly. Even if this is 'mantra', is there a way to force grub2 to work in grub 1 "mode". Some Switches ...

On the same Hardware we installed the newest CentOS Version with ZFS and the 10GBe NICs ... 500 MB/s ... old Software new Hardare symptomatic :smile:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That hardware was first manufactured circa 2011. The documentation I saw when I googled the model was from late 2010 that said it was to be released in 2011, so that's 5 years old. :/

If there is a way to force it, I don't know what it is. I doubt that the issue is limited to just grub2. It sure looks like the kernel is having a cow, which makes the issue much larger. Have you tried installing FreeBSD 10.3 on your system to see "what happens". I'm kind of expecting you might see the same errors.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

FreshSmith

Cadet
FreeBSD 10.3 works fine. we just installed it today. But does it also use grub2 ... I do not think so.
Life cycle of IBM machines are quite long. The System itself was manufactured some years.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, I'm not sure of FreeBSD 10.3 uses grub2 by default.

Hexidecimal

Cadet
I ran into this issue with the server I'm currently setting up as a FreeNAS box. Since I didn't see a resolution I thought I'd mention how I finally got it working.

I went into the BIOS and added a Boot Option called Legacy Only (it was a selection available from the options you can choose) and then used Rufus to make a MBR Bootable USB drive with the RELEASE ISO on it. With Legacy Only set as the first boot option, it would boot the FreeNAS Corral RELEASE installer properly, and I could setup the OS from there.

You have to leave Legacy Only as the first boot option in your BIOS though, you can't go back to setting HDD0 or USB Storage (depending on your install drive, I'm using a 147GB 15K SAS drive for my OS drive), or it will simply not boot.

Hope this helps someone out who is also using an IBM X3650 M3, and sorry for reviving an older post. Just wanted to share how I managed to get it working.

ibmguy

Dabbler
I ran into this issue with the server I'm currently setting up as a FreeNAS box. Since I didn't see a resolution I thought I'd mention how I finally got it working.

I went into the BIOS and added a Boot Option called Legacy Only (it was a selection available from the options you can choose) and then used Rufus to make a MBR Bootable USB drive with the RELEASE ISO on it. With Legacy Only set as the first boot option, it would boot the FreeNAS Corral RELEASE installer properly, and I could setup the OS from there.

You have to leave Legacy Only as the first boot option in your BIOS though, you can't go back to setting HDD0 or USB Storage (depending on your install drive, I'm using a 147GB 15K SAS drive for my OS drive), or it will simply not boot.

Hope this helps someone out who is also using an IBM X3650 M3, and sorry for reviving an older post. Just wanted to share how I managed to get it working.
I have tried this method with no luck... any way you could explain a little more about your methods?

Vrakfall

Dabbler
FWIW, I found this after I got this issue while trying to install FreeNas in a VM (for testing purposes) in EFI mode. As suggested above, I just reinstalled it in BIOS mode (the legacy one) and it worked without even fiddling with the BIOS itself.

I'm not sure if it's related but since @Hexidecimal had good luck with it I think it could help @FreshSmith. Just take this message as a "just-in-case" note.

zimbodan

Cadet
I ran into this threat yesterday trying to install FreeNAS on an old Supermicro system X7DBE+ board. Trying to install 11.2 results into the above mentioned ACPI BIOS Error as well. Looks as if the underlying FreeBSD is set to default using the ACPI which seems to be incompatible in some way with those older BIOSes. There is no easy way to overwrite this setting using the FreeNAS ISO and I was too lazy to build an own installer (shame on me).
The workaround I used was the following. Installing 9.10 (with an older BSD underneath) and upgrading it to 11.2 in several steps. Thus the ACPI is deactivated and the setting is maintained during the upgrade process.
I also found a rejected feature request for those situations where you have older hardware and need to deactivate the ACPI. Well - a bit time consuming but working and should be applicable to most systems with this type of BIOS issue.

Hi guys, just wanted to bring in my grain of salt. Zimbodan, I just (like an hour ago) installed the same X7DBE+ board and ran into the same issue as the original post and as you. However I ended up fixing it by entering the Bios, in Boot Settings it has a "Use ACPI" flag, which I activated and managed to install Freenas 11.3 directly.