accessing shares from Freenas to western digital tv live hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rcw4

Dabbler
Been a user of FREENAS for 2 days . . . pretty awesome!!!!!!!
- SABNZBD is loaded along with Sickbeard

So I have set everything up, and everything is working . . . just not perfectly like it was with my windows setup.

Can Freenas map a drive to a western digital tv live hub.

Here is the reason:

So all of my tv shows, after sickbeard downloads them, the post processing portion puts the completed tv show into my western digital tv live hub. in Windows I had this drive mapped and in sickbeard I had Y:\TV where (Y) was the WDTV share and TV was the folder. Now I get the email saying TV Show X just downloaded and it is already on my WDTV ready for viewing.

So with FREENAS / Sickbeard I am asking can I make the completed folder: \\192.168.x.x\WDTVLiveHub\TV

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your questions are better answered by the WDTV guys. If you searched for WDTV I just discussed this a week or so ago. Basically you have to look at what WDTV supports for file sharing, what FreeNAS supports, then setup whatever protocol the both support. If there isn't a protocol that both support then getting WDTV to work is not going to happen.

If you needed help setting up a share and have an error or other problem this is the place to look.

If you need help setting up the WDTV to use whatever file sharing you are using on FreeNAS, the WDTV forum is where you should go.

Rcw4

Dabbler
Your questions are better answered by the WDTV guys. If you searched for WDTV I just discussed this a week or so ago. Basically you have to look at what WDTV supports for file sharing, what FreeNAS supports, then setup whatever protocol the both support. If there isn't a protocol that both support then getting WDTV to work is not going to happen.

If you needed help setting up a share and have an error or other problem this is the place to look.

If you need help setting up the WDTV to use whatever file sharing you are using on FreeNAS, the WDTV forum is where you should go.

I appreciate the response and thank you as I am a complete NOOB to the whole Freenas scene. I will say it is pretty BADA$$!!!! and the people responsible for this are some pretty ingenious individuals that should make a lot more money than what they do.

now with that said, I think the question was misunderstood. But I will look in the WDTV section (not used to the forum yet so not sure where to post what . . . I'll get there).

I wanted to know if FreeNas / Sickbeard / Sabnzbd could post process the downloaded TV shows from the Completed folder to a network share? So map a drive from Freenas to the WesternDigital TV LIVE HUB (which has its own 1 TB HDD) so I want my TV shows on there so they are portable.

The windows version of SAB / SB allow me to map a drive letter to the WDTVLIVE share. Then I can put the post process as the shared drive. Now the renaming and sorting takes place and puts the files directly into the WDTVLIVE.

That is what I want . . . like a way to map a drive FROM Freenas TO WDTVLIVE then post process to \\192.168.X.X\WDTVLIVE

I will ask around and see if this is possible . . . and thank you for you assistance.

Did I say that Freenas was BADA$$!!!!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
that all completely depends on how the WDTVLIVE shares out its filesystem. Is it CIFS? we dont know....

my guess is that you would have to mount that share in the jail, but i dont know the exact details to do so right now.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
now with that said, I think the question was misunderstood. But I will look in the WDTV section (not used to the forum yet so not sure where to post what . . . I'll get there).

There is no WDTV section. You need to go to the Western Digital forums, assuming they have a forum.

The windows version of SAB / SB allow me to map a drive letter to the WDTVLIVE share. Then I can put the post process as the shared drive. Now the renaming and sorting takes place and puts the files directly into the WDTVLIVE.

SAB and SB have nothing to do with you mapping a drive letter. They are not file sharing protocols... at all.

Rcw4

Dabbler
your right (mis spoke / typed). The windows version of SAB / SB allows me to put a mapped drive in the completed path for post processing like (Y:\TV) where Y:\TV is my WDTVLIVEHUB share.

so WDTVLIVE HUB supports all kinds of protocols:
CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, and VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN)

and I don't want the final product to stay on the FREENAS CIFS share, I want the final product on the WDTVLIVE HUB. So how do I mount a drive from FreeNAS to \\192.168.x.x\WDTVLIVE

so that I can put that mnt point (if I am saying that correctly) into the completed path of sickbeard for post processing?

I hope that makes sense . . . sorry for being so "new". If you don't know what the terminology is, it is pretty difficult to explain what you want . . . LOL.

budmannxx

Contributor
your right (mis spoke / typed). The windows version of SAB / SB allows me to put a mapped drive in the completed path for post processing like (Y:\TV) where Y:\TV is my WDTVLIVEHUB share.

so WDTVLIVE HUB supports all kinds of protocols:
CIFS, AFP, NFS, FTP, WebDAV, iSCSI, Telnet, SSH, SNMP, and VPN (PPTP, OpenVPN)

and I don't want the final product to stay on the FREENAS CIFS share, I want the final product on the WDTVLIVE HUB. So how do I mount a drive from FreeNAS to \\192.168.x.x\WDTVLIVE

so that I can put that mnt point (if I am saying that correctly) into the completed path of sickbeard for post processing?

I hope that makes sense . . . sorry for being so "new". If you don't know what the terminology is, it is pretty difficult to explain what you want . . . LOL.

What I think you want to do: use the SAB setup you have in your FreeNAS jail to download files, but then have those files moved to the WDTV device for storage?

If that's what you want to do, then it's like your WDTV is the server and the FreeNAS is the client. You have to make sure your WDTV has a network share accessible to your FreeNAS. The FreeNAS will connect to the WDTV's share (via whatever protocol you've set your WDTV to use) and copy the file. None if this is really FreeNAS configuration. You'll just have to add the WDTV share address ("\\192.168.x.x\WDTVLIVE") as the "Completed Download Folder" in your SAB config.

Hopefully this helps, but any further questions should be posted in either the WDTV forum or the SAB forum.

Rcw4

Dabbler
Shell:

mount_smbfs -W //WDTVLiveHub/WDTVLiveHub /mnt/CIFS_Shares

so now I have a folder at /mnt called CIFS_Shares

and I have a folder in Jail/Software/WDTVLiveHub

The problem is when I attempt to access WDTVLiveHUB I get permission denied???

GETTING CLOSER . . . .

Rcw4

Dabbler
FRICKIN AWESOME . . . Rebooted the WDTVLiveHUB and ALL PERMISSIONS are working like a champ.

Mount_smbfs is what I needed for the WDTVLiveHUB folder to show up within the Jail, then I could place the sabnzbd and sickbeard folders for completed, incomplete, etc within the jail structure.

Might save somebody else a little time, but by all means . . . if one of the pro's could look at this and see if this is the "RIGHT" way to do this. It is working for me, but that doesn't mean it is right.

Thanks everybody.

- - - Updated - - -

Assumptions: Everything is already working on your SABNZBD and SICKBEARD, you just want to store your downloads outside of the SAN (i know crazy right).

1.) Log into FreeNas
2.) open Shell
3.) cd /mnt
4.) mkdir /CIFS_Shares
5.) type the following: mount_smbfs -W //WDTVLiveHub/WDTVLiveHub /mnt/CIFS_Shares (note****this is if your DNS name for your WDTVLiveHub is WDTVLiveHub)
6.) exit out of shell
7.) Restart everything (SB / SABnzbd / WDTVLiveHub)
8.) you will see in /jail/software/WDTVLIveHub folder now. Now you can copy tv shows directly to your WDTVLiveHub and post process to their folders).

AWESOME . . .

So still have a problem... when trying to post process a file . . . now I get unable to move file . . . so I still have a permissions issue on the Mount.

I am sure I need to set 777 someplace in order to get this mount to work . . . any thoughts on what has been done so far? and what I can do to finalize it?

budmannxx

Contributor
So still have a problem... when trying to post process a file . . . now I get unable to move file . . . so I still have a permissions issue on the Mount.

I am sure I need to set 777 someplace in order to get this mount to work . . . any thoughts on what has been done so far? and what I can do to finalize it?

This really feels like it's an issue with the CIFS share your WDTV is sharing and/or your SAB config. In the SAB web gui, under Config > Folders, there's an option called "Permissions for completed downloads." Maybe you need to specify something there?

5.) type the following: mount_smbfs -W //WDTVLiveHub/WDTVLiveHub /mnt/CIFS_Shares (note****this is if your DNS name for your WDTVLiveHub is WDTVLiveHub)

Also, I'm not too familiar with the mount_smbfs command, but the -W option appears to be for specifying a workgroup. You didn't specify one in this command.

Rcw4

Dabbler
This really feels like it's an issue with the CIFS share your WDTV is sharing and/or your SAB config. In the SAB web gui, under Config > Folders, there's an option called "Permissions for completed downloads." Maybe you need to specify something there?

Also, I'm not too familiar with the mount_smbfs command, but the -W option appears to be for specifying a workgroup. You didn't specify one in this command.

So I would agree except:

navigate to: 192.168.x.x\Data (which is my CIFS FreeNAS share).

then go to: Jail\Software\

then go to: WDTVLiveHub.

I get an error . . . the request is not supported.

now go from the WDTVLiveHub to the FreeNAS\DATA share . . . and I can stream content all day long.

So I still think that this is a SHARE or a mount_smbfs permissions issue . . . maybe you are right . . maybe the WDTVLiveHub does not know how to handle the request so it fails????? Too many questions . . . but it's a fun project.

Thanks for any input.

budmannxx

Contributor
Definitely a cool project. But to get a good response here, you're going to have to give a bit more detail about what exactly you're doing, what the result is, and if that result is what you want. I'm not sure what you mean by "navigate to..." or "then go to..." If you're entering commands in the FreeNAS shell, please paste the command and output and enclose the text in
Code:
 tags in your reply.  If you're entering commands, connecting to/from stuff, or getting errors on other, non-FreeNAS systems, you'll need to provide full details so someone here (possibly even me) can diagnose the problem and see if it's even related to FreeNAS for sure.

budmannxx

Contributor
Also, you posted the same question in the Plugins section. More detail is in the other thread; this dupe should be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.