Accessing Shared Folder on WD My Cloud from FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxprorawks

Cadet
Currently, I run Plex Media Server on a Windows 7 PC. My media files are all stored on a shared folder on my WD My Cloud.

However, I would like to have a dedicated PC to run Plex Media Server - the PC wouldn't do anything else.

So, I'm looking at FreeNAS - I've seen videos on installing Plex on FreeNAS. However, I would still want to be able to access the media files on my WD My Cloud - is it possible to do this, and how is the drive mapped so that Plex running in a Jail on FreeNAS can access my shared files?

Regards.

Matt.

enemy85

Guru
If i did not misunderstood, u want to create a freenas server just to run plex but leaving the files on the WD my cloud? Why don't you move all the files on the nas you are going to build? It will make more sense and work even better.

foxprorawks

Cadet
If i did not misunderstood, u want to create a freenas server just to run plex but leaving the files on the WD my cloud? Why don't you move all the files on the nas you are going to build? It will make more sense and work even better.

I would like to avoid buying another 4 Tb hard disk, when I already have my media files shared on another device.

I accept that this may be unconventional, but I only want to use FreeNAS as a way of running Plex, and not really as a NAS.

So really I'm looking for a lightweight OS to run Plex.

Matt.

enemy85

Guru
well in that case i don't think freenas would be a suitable solution for you. The WD has a different file system and is not a good idea to let FN mess in that hd, if you care what is on...

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Just install ubuntu on the computer and install plex on that. Much easier and still free.

Status
Not open for further replies.