A syncthing jail, a plex jail, a permissions conundrum

hungarianhc

Patron
Here's the use-case. I have a NAS, and my parents have a NAS. Mine is a plex server and other use-cases. Theirs is just a plex server and a remote backup for me. I have their machine with me for maintenance right now, and I ultimately decided to start fresh and clean. I started with a clean TrueNAS install, and I loaded up two jails: plex and syncthing.

I created the dataset for media, and plex / syncthing had no problems reading / writing on it when I created the mount points. Great.

Here's the issue, though. The syncthing jail is using the syncthing user, and it's writing all media files with the following permissions:

Code:
-rwx------  1  983  wheel

I am very far from a permissions / linux / bsd expert, but as I read this, it's writing files that have read / write / execute privileges for the syncthing user (uid 983), but nobody else can access it. This is verified by my plex jail, which is not able to scan the media files, due to permissions issues.

What's the right way to fix this? I could figure out how to change the user that is running the syncthing process in the jail, but I'd rather not mess with that, in case I ever need to blow it away and create a new instance. Seems like that would be a pain to remember. I could change the ownership of all the files after they sync. I'll probably end up doing that anyways, but that doesn't fix the issue going forward. I added the plex user to the wheel group initially, but I realize after looking at the permissions that group access doesn't matter in this case.

Would love your guidance here. Thanks in advance!