A quick thanks to the devs, community, users here and IX past and present staff.

The Hobbyist

Cadet
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to drop in and just let everyone know how much I appreciate all of the work that the BSD and other devs, community at large, users here and IX past and present staff have done and continue to provide with respect to the TrueNAS solution.

I have used Freenas probably since around 2009 or so and ended up somewhere along the way with an 11.1 server that had to remain on that release for various reasons. This weekend was the weekend when that server config got cleaned up, everything backed up and I decided to take a gamble and do a release by release upgrade from 11.1 to 13.x current. Normally I would just image a new SSD and import the ZFS volume, but this time I decide to just go through each upgrade release, pay attention and see how far we can get being ready to start with a fresh OS install.

Well, the process was without a single error or issue. 11.1 -> 11.2 -> 11.3 -> 12.x -> 13.x and voila. Not a single error or issue along the way, install each release, reboot for the updater to do its thing and let the updater reboot into a working instance to begin the upgrade process into the next release.

Sometimes, as a sysadmin, you just look at a piece of technology like this and sit back in awe at how gracefully and beautifully some of this stuff works. It doesn't hurt that Free Software won in the server space so we sit in an ecosystem where we have access to the embarrassment of riches, however, sometimes you just have to be thankful for everyone that contributed to this solution to any degree.

So, to all of you devs, community members at large and IX past and present staff, my hats off to you. Thanks for all of the amazing work you guys do.

Robert