A proxmox backup server app

andrnils

Cadet
Proxmox has a native backup solution for taking backups of VMs and containers. It would be very useful if that software could be run as an app on TrueNAS. I currently run it fully virtualized, but that takes resources and you have to run a fs on zvol.

Proxmox backup server is installable on a debian system, so it should be quite feasible to create a app for it.

roysalisbury

Cadet
I'd like to see this as well. I was running PBS as a VM on the Proxmox host ... but recently moved it to a VM on TrueNAS (closer to the data).

Having it as an app vs a VM would be much better I would think.

Roy

danb35

Hall of Famer
Proxmox backup server is installable on a debian system, so it should be quite feasible to create a app for it.
I don't think this follows. Apps are based on Docker containers, and there's no official container for PBS. Moreover, PBS wants direct access to a high-IOPS storage system, which it's unlikely to get by way of a host path in TrueNAS.

I sure wouldn't say it's impossible, but it doesn't look like it'd be very straightforward.

LarsR

Guru
I know not many ppl like truecharts, but they have created a proxmox backup server app for scale, maybe check out their app...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I know not many ppl like truecharts
It seems quite a lot of people like TrueCharts--and (other than personalities on their Discord server) the "official" apps seem to have the same sorts of problems as do the TC apps. Personally, unless and until the official apps integrate Ingress at least as smoothly as TC, it's unlikely I'll use anything other than TC. Not to mention that they have roughly 8x as many apps as the "official" and "community" trains put together.

But that's really beside the point, which is that they have an app for PBS, which I hadn't seen previously, and which is certainly good to know. Proxmox still recommends that storage for PBS be as performant as possible, specifically in terms of IOPS, so bear that in mind in setting up your storage for the app.

LarsR

Guru
I'm among the people who like truecharts, i think they do an amazing work supplying the apps they do at ( from a non developer standpoint) impressive stability and without charge. And apart from one person on their team they all seem very nice and friendly. I only had to ask for their help twice since they first released their apps catalogue. So i really can't understand the, sometimes huge, backlash they face. If you keep up with their announcements on their homepage and discord even the breaking changes they had could be mitigated to minimum downtime of their apps.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So i really can't understand the, sometimes huge, backlash they face.
I'm also among the people who like TC, but I can see some reasons that people don't, including:
  • The lead dev can be more than a little abrasive. He's on record complaining about how soft, for lack of a better word (and that's my word, not his), this forum is--and that's hardly the reputation this forum has (though there have been times, at least, where I've agreed with that criticism of this forum). I can understand (and share) the sentiment of not suffering fools gladly, but it can be overdone, and it seems many folks feel that he does so.
  • Discord. I don't like it at all as a support platform--I'd much rather use a forum like this one. Live chat can supplement a forum, but really shouldn't replace it. Though I have to admit the few times I've sought help there, I've gotten it quickly, accurately, and without attitude. Really, if it's the case (as I believe it is) that the largest user base of their apps is on TrueNAS, they really should hang out and offer support here.
  • The massive breaking change from around a year ago that required you to delete and reinstall all your apps. That would have been bad enough, but the (lack of) communication about it made it much worse--the most that was made public was that users might need to reinstall a few of their apps, not that they definitely would need to reinstall all of them. And it took weeks for any documentation to surface about how to migrate PostgreSQL databases. And there was the fact that the *arr apps were made to use CNPG, and then not, both of which changes resulted in data loss.
The last one, especially, upset a lot of people. Heck, it upset me, though not enough to stop using their apps. I'm willing to trust that the change was necessary and was going to result in needing to reinstall everything no matter what--reluctantly willing, but willing. But the lack of communication, in advance, in public, of what would be needed and how to do it was a fail on TC's part, and I think that more than anything else drove people away.

What's the alternative? I asked for Ingress eight years ago. FreeNAS/TN CORE never have supported it. The "official"/"community" apps on SCALE don't support it. Every single TrueCharts app--almost 800 of them--does. Check the box, enter a hostname, and Robert is your father's brother. TLS termination? Done. Cert maintenance? Done. Wildcard cert? Handled. SSO authentication? Yep, they handle that too (if you want). If you want TLS termination and a distinct hostname for any of the "official"/"community" apps, you're on your own to set up your own reverse proxy--they give you an inferior tool (Nginx Proxy Manager) to do that, but you're on your own to set it up.

Damn, I'm getting long-winded. In short: I see some of the issues people have with TC--but IMO, those issues are easily outweighed by the extra features TC brings to the table.

jct

Explorer
I can understand (and share) the sentiment of not suffering fools gladly, but it can be overdone
Sorry, I live in D.C. — I need to ration my righteous indignation, and split needless social combat from my creative hobbyist time. :wink: