9.3 How to build and install LMS 7.9 from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincèn

Patron
That can happen if there is any white space at all in the lms file. How did you create it?
Well first time I pasted from forum in a text file on my computer (running Ubuntu) then transferred through NFS to FreeNAS, second time I pasted it directly through SSH in VI, and last try copy base64 file you pasted, decode it locally on FreeNAS, but still same error :( something else I can check ?

Thanks

Get Amped

Cadet
Well first time I pasted from forum in a text file on my computer (running Ubuntu) then transferred through NFS to FreeNAS, second time I pasted it directly through SSH in VI, and last try copy base64 file you pasted, decode it locally on FreeNAS, but still same error :( something else I can check ?

Thanks

If you actually did everything correctly from the "In FreeNAS shell" step forward, you would not have to start LMS because it would start automatically. I suggest deleting and recreating the run jail. In other words, try again. Verify that you get the proper result from each step. Somewhere along the way something went awry and no one else can see what you did or didn't do along the way.

And file permissions are often the cause of mysterious problems in Linux. They are a PITA and will vex you endlessly unless you figure out how they work. All complicated by the fact that there are the underlying FreeNAS permissions and the ones specific to each jail.

Biornius

Cadet
Thanks a lot Get Amped and everyone else contributing on this thread. I successfully got LMS up and running this week by following Get Amped's instructions from Aug 10, 2015.

The only modification I had to make was to replace "perl5.20.2" with "perl5.20.3" in four places (I think) that it appeared.

kamezouj

Cadet
I have a big problem with the installation. a file is missong, my english is poor and my knowledge

Code:
cd /tmp/somedir/logitechmediaserver-7.9.0-1447333834/CPAN/arch/5.18
cp -Rp /tmp/somedir/slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build/arch/5.18/amd64-freebsd-thre
ad-multi
usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-alpvx] source_file target_file
cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-alpvx] source_file ... target_dir
ectory
root@build_jail:/tmp/somedir/logitechmediaserver-7.9.0-1447333834/CPAN/arch/5.18

If i try to see if something exist into the repo :
Code:
cp -Rp /tmp/somedir/slimserver-vendor/CPAN/build/arch/5.18/amd64-freebsd-thre
ad-multi                                                                      
usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-alpvx] source_file target_file 
       cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i | -n] [-alpvx] source_file ... target_dir
ectory                                                                        
root@build_jail:/tmp/somedir/logitechmediaserver-7.9.0-1447333834/CPAN/arch/5.18

Here is the log for the script

Code:
Stop in /tmp/somedir/slimserver-vendor/CPAN/libmediascan-0.1/bindings/perl.
make failed, aborting
borting

Complete buildme.sh uploaded

Attachments

• buildme.sh.rar
    56.2 KB · Views: 573

Get Amped

Cadet
kamezouj,

I can't really tell anything from what you've posted. Those do not look like complete command lines.

It's most likely that you have to modify the references to Perl modules to use the current version which appears to be 5.22.0. Not sure without doing it again what will get installed when you do the pkg update, upgrade and installs. If you pay attention while that's happening though, you will see it doing the Perl updates during that part of the process. You can also run perl -v and see what version it reports.

The instructions I posted give you the commands required to get the install to work, but it's highly likely that your specific choices will require slight variations, which means you need to understand what those commands do. The Internet is full of Linux tutorials and The Google will show the way...

LeoSum

Dabbler
Thank you for this thread and all the infos!

I just tried to get LMS on my 9.3 FreeNAS up and running by following closely Get Amped's steps and replacing "perl5.20.2" with "perl5.20.3" in four places. Compiling in the build-jail seems to go through smoothly, but when I finally restart the jail that is supposed to run LMS, nothing happens. LMS is not reachable. "top" shows that it isn't running and when I try to start it manuall with "service lms start" I get the following error:

Code:
# service lms start

Starting lms.
The following CPAN modules were found but cannot work with Logitech Media Server:
  Image::Scale:
Image::Scale object version 0.11 does not match bootstrap parameter 0.08 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.20/mach/DynaLoader.pm line 216.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 92) line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 92) line 1.

To fix this problem you have several options:
1. Install the latest version of the module(s) using CPAN: sudo cpan Some::Module
2. Update the module's package using apt-get, yum, etc.
3. Run the .tar.gz version of Logitech Media Server which includes all required CPAN modules.

Does anybody have a clue?

I found the issue.
Obviously the latest commit to the repo was updating the Image-Scale-Module to version 0.11. If I checkout the repo version before that commit, all is golden!

Last edited:

Z300M

Guru
I did have LMS 7.8 running satisfactorily at one point, but it seems to have disappeared. So far my attempts to build 7.9 have been unsuccessful: I used perl5.20.3 and removed the other versions, but I still get:

"... relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against 'ff_pw_4' can not be used when making a shared object: recompile with -fPIC
usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
*** [blib/arch/auto/Media/Scan/scan.so] Error code 1

Stop in /tmp/somedir/slimserver-vendor/CPAN/libmediascan-0.1/bindings/perl.

make failed, aborting"

Z300M

Guru
I don't know what was wrong before, but I started over and was able to build the program OK -- but now I get that Image::Scale error when I try to run it. @LeoSum, would you please explain exactly what you did to solve that problem: I am not knowledgeable enough to understand your statement

"If I checkout the repo version before that commit, all is golden!"

LeoSum

Dabbler
Ok, no problem.
After the command
Code:
git clone ...
(line 13 in Get Amped's instructions)
do
Code:
cd slimserver-vendor
git checkout 8392f7d
(this is the hash of the commit before Image-Scale was updated to 0.11.

This should send the checked out repo back in time.

Last edited:

Z300M

Guru
It took me a few minutes to figure out that I had to cd to the slimserver-vendor directory before doing that, but now it runs. Danke sehr.

BUT either I am doing something wrong or this version of LMS works differently from ver. 7.8: when I go to <IP address of jail>:9000 it wants me to sign into mysqueezebox.com, and when I have done that I can find no way to manage my media files. I have copied my files to the <LMS jail>/media directory, but I cannot see them at mysqueezebox.com and cannot scan them and generate playlists. I can connect my Squeezebox Radio to LMS_Run, but Artists, Titles, etc. are Empty.

Help please, somebody.

Z300M

Guru
It took me a few minutes to figure out that I had to cd to the slimserver-vendor directory before doing that, but now it runs. Danke sehr.

BUT either I am doing something wrong or this version of LMS works differently from ver. 7.8: when I go to <IP address of jail>:9000 it wants me to sign into mysqueezebox.com, and when I have done that I can find no way to manage my media files. I have copied my files to the <LMS jail>/media directory, but I cannot see them at mysqueezebox.com and cannot scan them and generate playlists. I can connect my Squeezebox Radio to LMS_Run, but Artists, Titles, etc. are Empty.

Help please, somebody.
Never mind. I discovered that if I skip signing in to mysqueezebox.com I get to Logitech Media Server running on my machine.

LeoSum

Dabbler
Oops, you're right. I edited my previous post just in case someone else will encounter this problem in the future.
Neat language skills btw ;)

Stuarty

Cadet
For what it is worth I have combined the instructions in this thread to install a LMS 7.9 nightly in a FreeBSD 10.2 jail on NAS4free 10.2. Details on the NAS4free forum. Basically it involves building from slimserver-vendor from git and combining the build with a noCPAN unix nightly. The combination is needed to avoid mismatches between modules and binaries. This is only going to become more difficult as Michael Herger updates modules on some platforms only and no longer builds for all platforms.

Paulieserver

Cadet
Unfortantely i do not get it to work trying already for a couple of days. I followed all the steps and after many times trying. It is now starting up but then i get the next error:

[16-05-18 18:30:00.71511] Slim::Utils::Pref::init (279) Error: unable to write to preferencese directory /mnt/lms_data/prefs

Can someone help me how to solve this issue?

bitola1970

Dabbler
hi, would someone be kind enough to post a step by step guide on how to install lms on freenas 9.10. ive tried at lease a dozen times with no success, I cant seem to get pkgs to work esp git and bash and from what i can see there are people who have managed to install on 9.10. otherwise back to 9.3. cheers

fireheadman

Dabbler
hi, would someone be kind enough to post a step by step guide on how to install lms on freenas 9.10. ive tried at lease a dozen times with no success, I cant seem to get pkgs to work esp git and bash and from what i can see there are people who have managed to install on 9.10. otherwise back to 9.3. cheers

+1 on this... I might be able to tweak thing, but you would rather it work as intended.
I am on a fresh build of 9.10 w/ perl @ version 5.24.1

fireheadman

Dabbler
For anyone having issues.... I did end up getting a nightly build of LMS working.
I used these steps from http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...-7-9-nightly-in-a-FreeBSD-jail-on-FreeNAS-9-3 (with some minor deviation):

I didn't perform the 'pkg update' as this ends up installing perl 5.24.1, which breaks the compilation process
on a fresh install of 9.10 (as of 11/15/2016), perl 5.20.3 is install, so change the link cmd to match, also you might need to pull the latest nightly build.

Other issues I encountered and over came:
I had install 'gcc', then it will slimserver will compile. Using an 8-core AMD 4ghz, it took about 5min

Image::Scale isn't compatible on this build:
Code:
root@squeezebox:/tmp # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms start
Starting lms.
The following CPAN modules were found but cannot work with Logitech Media Server:
  Image::Scale:
Image::Scale object version 0.11 does not match bootstrap parameter 0.08 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.20/mach/DynaLoader.pm line 216.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 90) line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 90) line 1.

Updated the version of Image::Scale from 0.08 to 0.11 in order for LMS to fire up.
/usr/local/lms/CPAN/Image/Scale.pm
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/issues/8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.