Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Brookfield

Dabbler
Hi,

Any update on when 9.2.1.8 will come around?

I've got a dual-port Emulex OnecConnect card screaming for some love. According to bug #5919 it'll be fixed in 9.2.1.8...

Thanks,

-Mark

cyberjock

Inactive Account
One.. the forum isn't appreciative of people opening "how about now" threads on release dates. They'll be out when they are out.

Second, 9.2.1.8 may or may not ever be released. 9.2.1.6 was supposed to be the last 9.2.1 series. 9.2.1.7 had to happen because of the Samba root vulnerability. A few bug fixes and features were added at the last minute. The 9.2.1.8 "milestone" is "just in case" there's another need for a release between now and 9.3.

Mark Brookfield

Dabbler
Fair enough.

If 9.2.1.8 isn't released, is it fair to assume the fix referred to in bug # 5919 will be rolled into 9.3 (or whatever the next version is called)?

Thanks,

-Mark

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, if you look closely nobody it doesn't look like anyone has actually confirmed that the problem *is* solved with the newer driver. But if you read what everyone has said it's apparently already in 9.3 nightly... so I don't know why you'd think you'd need to ask the question. Am I confused about something?

Mark Brookfield

Dabbler
I think with me being the n00b, and you having 13,529 posts under your belt, then I say on the balance of probability it's me that's confused.

Thanks for your um, help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have the hardware and are willing to try the 9.3 nightly I'd prefer that you do try it. So far nobody has responded to the ticket since one of the devs asked if we had the hardware to verify the patch. BUT, somehow (not completely clear on how) it sounds like someone has already said that the patch doesn't work on 9.3.

So if you could test and confirm that it does or doesn't work on a 9.3 nightly that would probably be appreciated by the devs as well as from users of the card like yourself. Otherwise you might find your card still doesn't work when 9.3 gets released.

Keep in mind that you can install 9.3 on a fresh USB stick and do a pool import and then still go back to your old OS by switching USB sticks. Just don't upgrade your zpool from the command line or you will find that you can't go back to 9.2.1.x or older.

Mark Brookfield

Dabbler
Thanks... that's a good idea. I'll give it a go and report back on how I got on.

Much appreciated!

-Mark

solarisguy

Guru
I do not have the hardware, but description in https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=183391 indicates to me that you do not have to mount/import your disks. You can just try iperf and see whether it hangs given the same conditions under which it hangs for you using 9.2.1.7. (That is try to find a scenario where you can reliably cause a hang, then try booting from 9.3M3 on USB and try to replicate.) And, as cyberjock asked, please add your findings to the FreeNAS bug report.

Mark Brookfield

Dabbler
I have installed 9.3-M3 and it works fine. It sees the Emulex cards, I can give them all IP addresses (which I couldn't previously), and all services work as expected (currently NFS and iSCSI).

I am a very happy bunny indeed!

I will update bug #5919.

Thank you both for your time and help!

-Mark

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, ticket 6028 is the one you want to update. Did you try heavily loading the NIC? My understanding is the problem manifests itself randomly after a period of time and may be related to heavy network activity.

I would call it "good" unless you've used it for a day or two.

Mark Brookfield

Dabbler
I'm spanking both ports on the card via iSCSI and NFS by building/trashing/rebuilding VDI machines... silly amounts of data are getting pushed about.

But like you said... lets give it a couple of days.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.