Install Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeltag

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I've been using NAS4Free for about 18 months. I like it but I have found certain aspects incredibly limiting. I've always wanted to try FreeNAS because I think the plugins are just so much more superior and user friendly.

From following a few guides using version 9.2.1.8 I was able to get everything basic set up pretty quick, including CIFS and SSH - very good, seems a lot more intuitive than NAS4Free. However when I followed this excellent guide: View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4gm6sCJXQc
in order to set up Transmission, SABNzbd, CouchPotato etc (I think the author used version 9.2.1.5) it failed on the part where you create a media sub directory in the download_jail.

From researching this issue it seemed due to a known bug in version 9.2.1.8. Consequently I have been attempting to install 9.2.1.5.

Issue is that the install hangs and gives an error about: freenas mdns_register_internal: ERROR!! and something about the entry already exists.

Tried 9.2.1.5 numerous times, also tried 9.2.1.4 - same error. I noticed that if I switched NIC it would not give the error, I think because the new NIC meant a different default IP address. However due to the install img getting corrupted during a previous install attempt I get some new errors and when I rebooted with a fresh install the new default IP must have been registered on the last try and low and behold I get the same freaking mDNS register error!

I have tried so many things and about 20 fresh installs and I'm getting nowhere.

I am confident from using 9.2.1.8 that if I can get the 9.2.1.5 install to complete then I will be able to get everything I need to work correctly.

Does anyone have any idea how I could fix this? Is there a way to wipe this mDNS register? Or force a different default IP (there seems to be no way to set this until the options menu is presented though?) I have been at this the entire day and I can't even get it to just install - extremely frustrated.

I think FreeNAS looks amazing and if I can get this to work I will happily be permanently moving over from NAS4Free. Currently have no NAS at all so please help!

Thanks

Yeltag

Cadet
Or if it's a log on my router (DD-WRT) then could I maybe wipe the mDNS_register from there?

thanks

D

dlavigne

What install hangs? FreeNAS? One of the plugins? Also, post the exact error.

Status
Not open for further replies.