9.2.1.5 -> 11.3 forced migration issues

kamikazitorn

Cadet
I've had a 2 array, dual redundant (z2 raid for each array) system running for about 6 years straight.

Something happened to my boot key, I'm guessing a power failure had something to do with it, despite UPS service being configured (I didn't receive an e-mail).

When I was building it, I had a lot of forum help, and once it was all set, it required no changes or modifications, so my skill are lacking on the FreeNAS side, a bit; and my linux/BSD skills are VERY limited.

I've successfully created a new boot key with 11.3, was unable to import the settings file, due to the large migration, but have imported the arrays.

I currently have only used SMB, and had some configurations to make it my networks browser master/local DNS. My shares were root array's.

11.3 doesn't support this, I'm told, and I can adapt, but here is what is happening now, and the plan for me to get this back to 100% function for me. Please help.

How it's working so far:
The arrays imported, my machine connect to one of the shares, but I get a permissions failure when trying to browse the other. The one I can browse, some of the files, folder and data report permissions errors. No permissions have been changed in 6 years since I set it all up. I've created the same username. SSH is setup, and while looking, I can find no apparent differences in the files and folders I CAN access, with those that i CANNOT. This fact is a little confusing to me.

What I believe I need to do:
I need to move my dataset folders (/mnt/tank1 AND /mnt/tank2) to something like (mnt/tank1/tank1 AND mnt/tank2/tank2) if at all possible, and re-do the sharing, hopefully magically fixing some of this strangeness I don't understand. From there, I should be able to move on and test and step through the DNS and master browser things at my leisure.

Is it this easy, or I am in big trouble?

If it's this easy, this is live data, and I'd like a couple of comments verifying the correct using of the mv command via SSH. I'm guessing I should remove the smb shares from the freenas console, as I have no need to share the roots once they are moved. I'm moving them because I have to. I was not told, and was unaware it was bad practice to configure and share the root shares back when I was installing 9.2.1.5

This is a home system with VERY important personal and client data on it, and it's around 32TB of space with over 20TB being used currently.

I love this rig, please help me save it. If there is something that steps through explaining this behavior, and walks though the mv comand or points out what I should be doing in this case, please feel free to point me in the direction.

Thank you all very much!

(ps) It looks like his account is active, but Cyberjock was an AMAZING help to me back when I was creating this machine. If he's around with a new handle, I'd love to reach out to him, if that's even possible, he "speaks my language", lol.