8TB drives show up as 2TB in TrueNAS

NFSC

Cadet
I recently purchased a Supermicro X8DTU-F server, it had 4 2TB drives installed but that isnt enough storage space for me, so i purchased 3 new Seagate IronWolf 8TB drives. But when i added them to my system they just show up as 2TB in the webGUI, ive tried googling but i just cant find a solution to my specific problem.

Here are my system specs
  • CPU: 2xIntel Xeon X5570
  • Controller card: Intel ICH10R
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTU-F
  • RAM: 16GB ECC
  • Storage: 1x Hitachi HGST Long Life 2TB, 3x Seagate IronWolf 8TB

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I recently purchased a Supermicro X8DTU-F server, it had 4 2TB drives installed but that isnt enough storage space for me, so i purchased 3 new Seagate IronWolf 8TB drives. But when i added them to my system they just show up as 2TB in the webGUI, ive tried googling but i just cant find a solution to my specific problem.

Here are my system specs
Which version of SCALE?
Posting the image of the screen would be useful.

Redcoat

MVP
Could your server have a SAS-1 backplane (limited to 2TB drives)? Suggest you check the spec for the specific model number.

neofusion

Contributor

Here are my system specs
Hardware limitation of the controller it seems:

NFSC

Cadet
Which version of SCALE?
Posting the image of the screen would be useful.
The version is 22.02.2
1657388529935.png

neofusion

Contributor
So does that mean theres no other way to get it to work with bigger drives other than replacing the controller?
Not really.

But since a couple of years have passed since that SuperMicro post so you could try the usual things like:
Updating the BIOS.
Making sure it's set to AHCI and not RAID.
Setting it to use UEFI for the storage media instead of BIOS.

Edit: Also worth check Redcoat's suggestion above. If you're using a backplane you can try attaching a drive directly to the motherboard with a normal SATA cable just to see if it changes anything.

Last edited:

NFSC

Cadet
Not really.

But since a couple of years have passed since that SuperMicro post so you could try the usual things like:
Updating the BIOS.
Making sure it's set to AHCI and not RAID.
Setting it to use UEFI for the storage media instead of BIOS.

Edit: Also worth check Redcoat's suggestion above. If you're using a backplane you can try attaching a drive directly to the motherboard with a normal SATA cable just to see if it changes anything.
The motherboard is too old to have UEFI as far as i could figure out through googling, also didnt see any option for it when going through the BIOS. But i will try your suggestions tomorrow and see if it helps