8TB disks upgrade suggestions?

ccssid

Explorer
I believe that with RAID Z2 your storage capacity won't increase until the last 2 Tb drive is replaced.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Asus Motherboard, 16 Gb Ram, 1 240 Gb SSD boot drive, mix of 3 and 4 Tb WD-Red NAS Hard Drives in ZFS Z2 configuration, TrueNAS 12.0 U1.x on FreeBSD
Correct

NugentS

MVP
Do we know if Seagate Exos 12TB SATA are supported with TrueNAS 12? I was doing the math and with the rate my disks are filling from raw pictures and 4K movies from my Sony A7RIII, I might as well go with 12TB disks. As comparison, Exos 12TB $250, vs Exos 8TB $175.
I use them - so no issues here

Daisuke

Contributor
I believe that with RAID Z2 your storage capacity won't increase until the last 2 Tb drive is replaced.
Yes, that why I start easy now, one disk per month. In one year I should be near full capacity of 10TB with current set of 12 disks but also I should have completed the resilvering of the new disks, unless other disks fail faster. Yesterday I had my first Seagate Constellation 2TB disk showing unreadable sectors, so I'm replacing it with my first Exos 16TB disk, I have another Exos 16TB on hand, just to avoid silvering surprises but Constellation are enterprise disks so I'm good, hopefully.

Once the swap done, I will have a decent 160TB disk space. Taking into consideration that I will start filming on 8K 30/60fps, this should be good for at least 5 years (or maybe less??). Is very hard to estimate as I plan spending a lot more time with my camera outside. My goal is to upgrade my camera to a Sony A7R V (8K video capabilities), which should come out by the end of this year, so the timing is good for everything.

Just to give you an idea, you can fill very fast 265GB of raw data just with photos, in one day. Yes, you will delete most and keep the really good shots but sometimes you have a backlog of images which you still keep just in case. Think about movies, how fast this will fill (I plan to start filming with the new camera, I was doing only photos until now). I shoot all the time on dual 128GB cards, one time in the past one of the cards failed and I lost many valuable pictures. Usually 4x128GB V90 cards (256GB of total replicated data) are fine for one day of moderate shooting. Now you get an idea why I need all this space.

Because the lack of space I have now, I was always very clinical deleting many raw shots which now I regret I did.

Last edited: