823.5 KiB

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so ive just created a free nas system this is the second time ive done this in the last 10 years last time it worked but eventually the drives all failed and i gave up (took 3 years but they were not raid because i was being cheap).

and here i am again doing a simple cheap setup to get me through for the next 6 to 12 months

my details are i have family videos and kids dvd's ive ripped to avi as well as my mp3 collection i want to have available on the home network so ive put in this system 2 hdd's with data already on them...

1 x 1tb of movies and the like (windows 7 ntfs ) not dynamic safe to remove was clearly showing before i removed the drive it was connected by usb....)
1 x 400gb music drive (fat 32 clicked eject and safe to remove then system shut down before the drive was removed it was connected by usb....)

i installed the os to a ide/pata hdd 80gb cos i had it and i cant get the system to boot to usb its a old system hubbie had in the coupboard just collecting dust.

it works great as a stand alone system 4 sata ports with 1 gb ram.

its a simple system just for simple home network shares.

ive added both hdd's after the initial build because they have data on them and i was unsure of the potential for data corruption.

i get the system loaded and showing the ip address nicely so i know its working from that perspective.

once in web based gui i start to get lost

ive skimmed the manual because im short on time and done this before with no real hassles. i watched a few youtubes on setting up a simple bare bones freenas system seemed basically same as before.

i created the new password

i tried to mount volumes got the result below.......

Name
Used
Available
Size
Status
music 2.5 KiB (8%) 755.5 KiB 823.5 KiB UNKNOWN
movs 2.5 KiB (8%) 755.5 KiB 823.5 KiB UNKNOWN

i looked at the disks to see if they were there and they are correct details

ada1 WD-WMAV50138446 Movies1tb Auto 10 1 Medium true
ada2 S0H2J1CP211893 Music Auto 10 1 Maximum
true

so my first question is what am i doing wrong...

in time i plan on making a new raid 5 or 6 system with 4 x 2 tb drives but for now i have to do this on the cheap because i need the files available and i have a static backup available on the shelf but we have loads of tech in this house 6 in my little family all boys all getting a thirst for tech and techie based toys.

so cheaply available network storage for the pads pods and tablets phones and laptops is the driving force here. not everyone having their own hard drive and own computer all running the same basic data seems redundant when 1 source is preferable.

any help or pointing out of the obvious is helpful but please be kind.

D

dlavigne

Did you import the volumes first? How are you trying to mount them?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you have only 1GB of RAM, you don't have enough for FreeNAS. You really need 2GB minimum to use UFS, and 8GB for ZFS. I'm not saying your issue will be fixed with more RAM. But having insufficient RAM can cause weird effects and random kernel panics. You should probably see about getting more RAM before you go further.

Did you import the volumes first? How are you trying to mount them?
yes i imported them and it showed me the drive for the music at 400gb so i selected it and thats how i got the message.

i was looking on whirlpool and saw the same conversation and the guy just said come here :P so i know the 823.5 kib is a common fault i just with i knew why.

on the subject of ram ive just upgraded it after you mentioned it and now its got 4gb i removed the drives and imported them again with the same error

gpsguy

For FreeNAS, you'll need to use either ZFS or UFS.

Support for NTFS is limited. Mostly, to get the data off the existing drives (like your example), onto new storage.

At a minimum, I'd get a pair of (new) drives and mirror them. Hang your old disks off a Windows system and copy the data over the network, onto your FreeNAS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.