[8.0] what's with the RAM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierrep

Dabbler
hi there,

So I increased my RAM because I read somewhere that the 1Gb I had put in place were not enough (and they were totally consumed by FreeNAS - at least wired)

I replaced my 1Gb stick by 2 sticks for a total of 4Gb, and this is what i get in dmesg :
real memory = 4294967296 (4096 MB)
avail memory = 3388047360 (3231 MB)
which is correlated to what the graph shows at max RAM (3Gb)

Graph which also shows that the system now consumes under 500Mb

So i'm kind of at a loss here...
'Cause that was supposed to improve the performances of my system by allowing a lot of disk caching from what I figured out but seems it's not happening

Any kind of idea or help is appreciated.
Pierre

ProtoSD

MVP
Can you tell us more about your hardware? 32 or 64 bit? How are your disks configured? UFS or ZFS?

You may need to try tuning some settings. I'm not anywhere close to an expert on memory allocation with FreeBSD/FreeNAS, but I know if you're using ZFS it consumes RAM.

Post more details and maybe someone can help you better.

Thanks

Durkatlon

Patron
That motherboard (Intel D525MW, from the signature) supports 64-bit operation, but I suspect from those numbers that the OP installed the i386 version on it.

pierrep

Dabbler
sorry it's indeed a bit scarce on information...
so homebuilt system with 2x2.5" WD 1Tb disks using zfs in 1 mirror pool

contrary to what i thought, it's indeed using an i386 version of Freenas !
Hostname: freenas.local
OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
Platform: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz
System Time: Sun Sep 25 18:07:55 CEST 2011
Uptime: 6:07PM up 4 mins, 0 users
Load Average: 0.13, 0.36, 0.19
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-i386

as an addendum to the text explanation i gave, here's the reporting graph on memory

louisk

Patron
I would suggest installing the amd64 version and then you should see all of your 4G

ProtoSD

MVP
contrary to what i thought, it's indeed using an i386 version of Freenas !

This is without question what the problem is, install the AMD64 version (preferably 8.01 RC2)

pauldonovan

Explorer
Pierre,

A bit off topic, but seeing as you have the same motherboard as I do, could you run the following command in a terminal/shell for me? It will show the CPU temperatures your motherboard is reporting:

Code:
sysctl -a | grep temperature

My system always returns 6C and 9C as the temperatures for CPU 0 and 1, but I'm not sure if it's my particular system, or as bug in Intel's board. I've not found anyone else to confirm it either way.

Thanks,
Paul

pierrep

Dabbler
I'll try the amd64 version in a few days, 'cause i know it will break a few things i've customised.
I'll tell you the result :smile:

@paul : to my surprise i get this : (dmesg shows error regarding the temp sensors of the cores)
[pierre@freenas ~]$ sysctl -a |grep temperature
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 40.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 40.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 37.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 36.0C

pauldonovan

Explorer
@pierrep : Thanks. So it looks like it's just my board. I don't think it's a BIOS issue as I've tried various versions. I'm currently on the version released in the first week of September.

pierrep

Dabbler
@pauldonovan : i'm using the BIOS that was shipped, although i could not tell you which one it is...

i installed RC2 and a few things are broken there (like the reporting graphs, the CNID DB for AFP sharing...) but my 4gb are recognised and 1.5Gb is used

Status
Not open for further replies.