4TB to 3.5 TiB Data Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

Cadet
Hello Everyone. I am new to freeNAS . I have 2 identical 4TB WD Green Hard Drives. One is empty and I connected to my freeNAS which came up to 3.5 TiB. The other has data in it, amounting to about 3.5 TB. I tried to transfer it's content to the empty one via network from my windows 7 computer, and it would not fit. . . it says I am 34 GB short .. .but they are identical 4TB drives and I have 200 GB plus unused space from in the source drive. How is this possible? . . what happened to that space in the free NAS drive? I do not have any snapshots, and recycling bin.
Many thanks in advance to those who can answer me.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Well 2gb are used for swap and there is space wasted depending on block size. You can try increasing the block size to 1M when you create the pool of your files are mostly larger files. Different filesystems layout data differently and use space differently. Also not with zfs you should not go above 90% full.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Stux

MVP
Hello Everyone. I am new to freeNAS . I have 2 identical 4TB WD Green Hard Drives. One is empty and I connected to my freeNAS which came up to 3.5 TiB. The other has data in it, amounting to about 3.5 TB. I tried to transfer it's content to the empty one via network from my windows 7 computer, and it would not fit. . . it says I am 34 GB short .. .but they are identical 4TB drives and I have 200 GB plus unused space from in the source drive. How is this possible? . . what happened to that space in the free NAS drive? I do not have any snapshots, and recycling bin.
Many thanks in advance to those who can answer me.

Do you have 3.5TB or 3.5 TiB of data to copy?

RonB

Cadet
I have a 3.5 TB data to copy to a 3.5 TiB . I have the destination drive in raid zero.

RonB

Cadet
The term raid zero doesn't exist in FreeNAS
Raid Zero or stripe . . . RAID 0 (also known as a stripe set or striped volume) splits ("stripes") data evenly across two or more disks, without parity information, redundancy, or fault tolerance. 1 drive ,no redundancy, no mirrors . . the same thing . .. You know what I mean . . . . .what else do you want me to call it . . . As I said I am a newbie . . . . I am asking for help on my problem . . . . I am starting to loose interest on this freeNAS . . I'll just try the other ones out there . . . Thanks again to the first 2 who answered me sweetandlow and stux . . . . .to the smart ass moderator . . pirateghost , I hope you discourage more people away from FreeNAS. . . .

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There was nothing smartass about my comment.

If you want assistance, use proper terminology. Period. What you have is a single disk striped vdev.

Why are you trying to use FreeNAS if you aren't utilizing ZFS redundancy capabilities?

What benefit are you looking to gain with a single disk setup?

If you read the ZFS primer or the noob slideshow, you will note that there is a lot of overhead to ZFS and you need multiple drives to take advantage of its features.

You seem to have mistaken what FreeNAS' intent is and have jumped in attempting to just switch over without having done any homework to find out if it is even appropriate for your environment or application.

Have a look around, but in no way was I trying to "run you off". If my one comment turned you off from FreeNAS, you might need some thicker skin to be on the internet.

Stux

MVP
I would've expected 3.5TB to fit into 3.5TiB :-/

Have you tried copying just the data that will fit?

What type of data is it that the compression can't get you 1% back?

gpsguy

How are you calculating the disk usage? Are you seeing the 3.5TB via your "windows 7 computer". My Win 7 machine says my 2TB drive has a capacity of 1.78TB. That's close to an expected 1.81TiB.

I believe Windows is reporting TB, when it should actually report TiB. FreeNAS is displaying it correctly.

If this is the case (source and destination are ~3.5TiB), I'm not surprised to see that you are "34 GB short". Even if it could fit, with 99%+ usage, performance on FreeNAS would be dreadful.

Again, assuming this is the case, I'd either limit the data (3.0TiB or less) being shared on FreeNAS or upgrade to 6TB drives instead. At a minimum, I'd run with mirrored set, so you have some fault tolerance.

The other has data in it, amounting to about 3.5 TB.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Windows reports TiB ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.