4k video. CPU and RAM for Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiKiLLst

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm planning to build a FreeNAS ready to fight the 4k battle.
Plex is my problem.
At the moment I don't have a UHD Tv, but only UHD monitor, that's linked to a powerful and energy hungry pc.
I'd love to link monitor to something like a zero dB HTPC.

I've not decided whether to go E3 1231v3 (which already own) or E5 1620v2 (have 32gb RDIMM ram that might be compatible).
Does Plex transcoding will make a huge impact on FreeNAS CPU and ram of an E3+32gb that can suggest to go for E5 and 32+ gb?

A low power player pc will be a factor?

Thank you in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are going to go with 4k transcoding, you might want to consider a 6 core+ CPU. 4k transcoding is hell on CPUs right now. Bleeding edge video requires bleeding edge CPUs. :P

NiKiLLst

Dabbler
Ok, that's not a good news but may be fine.

Do you know any benchmark or indication (I looked in Plex forum but there's not a sure answer) that may help?
Scaling with cores is not technically a problem is just a matter of costs (sigh).

Do you think that dual cpu mobo may be an idea? I'll install one cpu now and one cpu in future, so I can go larger with RAM when needed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That is definitely an option. I'd definitely do 6 core minimum though. 8 core would be even better, but that will get expensive quickly. But anyone looking for dual CPU board is going to be spending some dough for the hardware regardless. ;)

NiKiLLst

Dabbler
My company is going to dismiss soon some ML350 G6. 2x 4/6 core Xeon E5500/X5500/L5500 and similar. They all have 64+gb and 4/8 hdd (that I'll going to replace ofc)

Here's the specs: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04286582
Do you think it worth to ask a quote or they fall in the "Hardware that is older than the Intel Sandy Bridge (older stuff burns LOTS of watts)" rule? (I know it do is older, but they may come out a lot cheaper for 2x6 core)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, unless its like $100 or less it's probably not worth it. And don't expect miracles for performance. While it will have lots of CPU power, that FSB is going to bottleneck it pretty quickly.

NiKiLLst

Dabbler
Little update:

Surfing the net I found 2 different budget options:
Xeon E5 1620v2 for around 220€ (street price around 350€) and a quad Opteron Board (+2 x16 core cpus) stripped from a server (will have no disks, case, ram, psus. Board only) for 450€ alltogether.
This was the server and a pic of the board only. (I asked him to send me more pictures).
This are the Opterons: 6272 (2x16 core) 2,1Ghz.

The E5 is maybe to small, but is a 3,7Ghz ed, and could be mounted on a "cheap" mobo. It's only 1processor limited though.
This board is probably overkill, but since it comes out cheap (too cheap?), I am thinking about it. Problem is that I need to find CPU coolers, case, how to connect disks to mobo, PSUs, ram compatible, and probably an Ethernet card.
Will be a good idea to go for the Opteron?

In the mean time I bought 4x MT18JSF1G72PZ-1G9E1 - ECC Rdimm. I know RDIMM are a bit of a fail, but I bought them for 75€, so I should give him a try. Unfortunately they're not in the QVL for Supermicro.

Thank you once more for you really appreciated advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.