3DM2 - 3Ware 9500s Web Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

max1e6

Cadet
I am interested in installing the 3Ware 3DM2 management utility on a FreeNAS server.

I currently have a box with two 3Ware 9500s SATA controllers. The FreeNAS image is running on a 4GB USB flash drive.

The tw_cli command line interface is working.

Yesterday, I hacked the installation for the 10.2 3DM2 installer, installed 3DM2, and confirmed that it was working. However, once I rebooted the install was overwritten.

What is the best way to get the 3DM2 utility installed on the flash image?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You'll need to putter around just a tad. I don't recall specifically what all the 3dm2 installer does, on an old server here I can see /usr/sbin/3dm2, and /etc/3dm2 plus config files. I'm guessing your /usr/sbin/3dm2 didn't go away - correct? If so, basically you probably just need to figure out how to get persistence for /etc/3dm2 plus whatever hook was used to start it. FreeNAS stores its persistent configuration over in /conf/base/etc, so adding the 3dm2 config files there will probably get you the reboot-survivability. Then you need to look at the installer and figure out how it's hooked it in to the system rc process.

Curious, though, *why* are you doing this? I haven't seen the 3dm2 tools to be very useful if you are using the 3Ware cards as a multiport SATA controller, which is probably the best use in FreeNAS...

digidax

Cadet
I'm also interested in to get a solution for installing the 3dm2 gui tools. I'm trusting also more a hardware raid solution as my first choice. The best example was the update from 0.7 to 8.x. The hardware raided volumes have lost no data's. If I had a soft raid management under 0.7, a conversion to 8.x will not be possible.
To get running, 3dm2 it would be nice for me too.

How can I make /usr/sbin/ and /etc writable and presistant after e.g. a reboot for placing there the files?

best Frank

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
making it writeable: mount -uw /

And as jgreco said: FreeNAS stores its persistent configuration over in /conf/base/etc

jazzpilot

Dabbler
Did you ever get the 3ware 3DM2 web interface working with FreeNAS 8.0X?

Just curious if you ever got the 3DM2 management interface working with FreeNAS 8?

I am interested in installing the 3Ware 3DM2 management utility on a FreeNAS server.

I currently have a box with two 3Ware 9500s SATA controllers. The FreeNAS image is running on a 4GB USB flash drive.

The tw_cli command line interface is working.

Yesterday, I hacked the installation for the 10.2 3DM2 installer, installed 3DM2, and confirmed that it was working. However, once I rebooted the install was overwritten.

What is the best way to get the 3DM2 utility installed on the flash image?

jet

Cadet
Did you ever get the 3ware 3DM2 web interface working with FreeNAS 8.0X?

Just curious if you ever got the 3DM2 management interface working with FreeNAS 8?

Hey

I was able to install this with a little bit of tweaking on Freenas 9.2.

downloaded http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/mirror/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.2-release/sysutils/3dm-2.11.00.019,1.tbz

extracted and put all my etc in /conf/base/etc
I edit all the conf files to point to /etc/3dm rather then /usr/loca..... because that stuff gets blown away on reboot
I edited the conf file in /conf/base/etc/3dm/ to suit my needs
added 3dm_enable="YES" to /conf/bace/etc/rc.conf

Started manually and it functioned great, crossed my fingers and rebooted and voila works great,sends emails,etc.

IMO this utility is a requirement, emails about your hard drives, perform battery tests,etc. Just more interfacing with your raid card than freenas does.

I upgraded (erm reinstalled) from freenas 7.2. in freenas 7.2 all I had to do was load the tarball in the web gui and freenas did everything else for me. This was a nice feature for installing "other" things on freenas boxes.

D

dlavigne

Please create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org requesting that this be added to base. Post the issue number here.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Again, the question is WHY are you doing this? It implies you are using the card as a RAID controller rather than an HBA, which is how you should use it with ZFS. Do not use a RAID controller with FreeNAS. ZFS is your RAID controller.

jet

Cadet
Again, the question is WHY are you doing this? It implies you are using the card as a RAID controller rather than an HBA, which is how you should use it with ZFS. Do not use a RAID controller with FreeNAS. ZFS is your RAID controller.

Well yes I am using the raid on my raid card for a few reasons, One it was preexisting raid array from freenas7,two the specs of the machine and the amount of ram I had zfs would never function reliably. If I had an amazing machine and somewhere to offload my 6 TB of data while I rebuild zfs......

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Fine, just making sure you were making informed choices (plus, clues for the audience).

Status
Not open for further replies.