36bay X9 mostly pre-built. Is a combo of hdd's and ssd's a *smart* option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandt

Cadet
Hello all,

Been lurking for about 6 months, and am ready to pull the trigger on a build. I'm wondering if I can't try for a best of both worlds build, using hdds for 24 drives and ssds for the remaining 12? Knock out the bulk of my needed storage with the spinners, and get some high performance vm storage with the ssd's. I assume there's a reason I haven't come across more build like this, but that's why I'm asking.

Background:
This will be my first experience with FreeNAS. I have a good bit of build experience, but mostly workstations and pvr builds, and have done very little but maintenance of existing builds for the last ~5 years. My last full build was a x58 w3570 gis workstation for postGRE/GIS database crunching in 2012. I also have 2 Thecus 7700s that are getting up there in age (and just about at capacity), with 7x3TB drives in each in Raid6, as well as a random assortment of maybe 2 dozen 1-4TB disks, a combination of oldscratch drives, pvrs and cad workstations, all of which I'd like to consolidate. About a third of my data is GIS related shapefiles, csvs, and file geo-databases, an additional third is aerial imagery and lidar raster data, and the final third is movies, music, and photos (of course).

What (I think) I'm looking for: I might be trying to do too much with one machine, and I can accept that if need be. Ultimately I can offload everything else and be happy with just consolidated storage. That being said, this is what I'm looking to do:

1)- (Primary) Consolidated Storage. At least 40 TB usable bulk storage. I'd like to be able to dump all of my existing drives into one primary storage machine, and re-purpose the old thecus' with new drives as additional backup for critical documents, one on-site and one-off site.

2)- (Secondary, possibly not required with #3) SAN or similar. This is foreign and new to me, but some type of iscsi or SAN to use with CAD and GIS workstations, max 5 at a time, usually 2. Latency is more important than bandwidth, especially with the nature of GIS software, but high bandwidth helps also. (Especially in ESRI, there are countless issues with running a processing task over a network. The two best ways to mitigate the issue is 1) the workstations need to see the share as a local drive, and 2) many processing tools run symmetrically with unpredictable timeout errors, so network and drive access latency is also key.)
---and/or---
3)- (Third, possibly not required with #2) VMs If practical, I'd also like to be able to run vm's as needed for GIS work. Generally this would be one linux vm with postgre/postgis database, one windows vm with esri ArcGIS, one windows/linux with ESRI ARC GIS Server, and a third vm running a versioning system (previously used git and tortoise svn, but am investigating the newer geoGIT or other alternatives.) This would be more of a longer term online resting place for existing work, and perhaps a sandbox to test configurations of future GIS processing systems architecture/workflow. Small jobs of less than a week of processing time might find themselves being run entirely within, but anything longer, and it would be exported to dedicated hardware once the configuration and workflow are figured out.
The plus of this is that network store issues listed in #2 can be avoided. The negative is that it would likely require a workstation grade graphics card to be installed to fully utilize. I'm not sure if this is even possible or practical.

4)- (This is strictly lagniappe.) Host and trans-code videos. It's not the purpose or excuse for the system, but probably will be what the processing power is used for 50% of the time. I previously have been a SageTV holdout, but may give plex another shot. I can always use this machine for media storage, and offload the trans-coding to my existing pvr machine. But that seems like a waste of processing power.

Where I'm at:
I think I have the basics filled in. Between Intel's new-ish way of grouping/naming processors, and trying to step up to a true server motherboard, I find myself facing a much steeper learning curve than I anticipated. It's made me give up on trying to do something entirely from scratch for my first build of this type. Also, I think I'm to the point of diminishing returns, research-wise, and it's time to ask some big picture questions.

I've pretty much decided on going with an x9 build, after going through many of the suggestions in the forums over the last ~6 months.
Perhaps prematurely, I've picked up one of these:

https://unixsurplus.com/collections...-2x-e5-2680-2-8ghz-192gb-2-port-10gbe-sfp-nic
36 bay SuperMicro 4u case
X9DRi-LN4F+ Mother Board
2x intel xeon e5-2680 2.7ghz
128GB Registered ECC DDR3 RAM
1x AOC Dual Port 10GbE SFP+
1x LSI 9211-8i (JBOD IT mode)

Additionally, I would add:

2x ~64GB ssd boot drives TBD
1x intel p3700 400GB or other suggestion
Additional HBAs?

For Drives, as mentioned above, I'm thinking of going in 2 pools/ phases: 1-capacity and 2-performance.

24x 3.5" 8TB hdds in the front slots for bulk storage- (possibly HGST HUH728080ALE600 3.5" 8TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K RPM 128M 512E ISE HDD for $229 oem)
(4 z2 vdevs @ 6ea 8TB drives ~ 54.4 TiB usable @ $101/TiB, per http://wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl) Open to suggestions on this.
and
12x (or more if they fit) 2.5" ssd's in the rear slots. Since I'm still investigating this, model and configuration TBD. (I know some have suggested not using the rear slots for 3.5" hdd's due to air flow issues, is this true for 2.5" ssd's also?)

I'd load the spinners first, then migrate the bulk of my individual drives using the rear drive slots, then once that's done, install the ssd's. Is this an ok protocol?

Obviously, I'm open to suggestions and critiques. I think the x9 board is where I want to be, as far as bang for the buck. (Confident enough that I already bought it. Although it can always be re-purposed or sold.)

But these are the questions I think I need to be asking, wrt hardware:

1) Am I on the right track? Missing any major blunders? Is it worth doing a combination drive type system like this? ie going for a combination of capacity and performance, or should I stick to one or the other?

2) I've given the SLOG primer a couple of reads, but I think I need to read it at least a couple more times or go look at some more examples. If I'm getting it, it's for latency and write integrity. The guide seems very good at the Why, but it doesn't go very deep into the How. How should it be sized? Is the 400GB model sufficient? If I go with the combo of hdds and ssds, would it be "implemented" with both types of drives, or should there be one SLOG per pool? I still need to get a better understanding here. The guide recommends the intel P3700. Is that still good advice?

3) The 10Gbe card included with the system seems to be an Intel x520, it's paid for, so is it worth swapping out for a Chelsio? Is the x520 bsd driver still buggy? I could always use the x520 elsewhere. Do I just need to experiment with it depending on performance?

4) Do I need to look at additional/better HBA cards? SAS3? Any reason to do a separate card per pool?

Thanks!
B

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't think there's any inherent reason that this is a bad idea. I wouldn't bother to upgrade the HBA unless you're also going to upgrade the backplanes. I'd question whether a SLOG would really help on an all-SSD pool.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have some answers, but I will type more when I am not on the phone.

I have questions for you. What format are the drives you are talking about importing?
Generally, data goes into the NAS by way of the network. Direct connection of drives is not always possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I assume there's a reason I haven't come across more build like this, but that's why I'm asking.
You probably won't see a build like this very often on the forum because of the cost of SSDs. My main storage server is in a chassis like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Server-Chenbro-48-Bay-Top-Loader-4U-Chassis-NEW-in-Box/253503074088
I have just 12 drives for mass storage, 4 drives for a backup pool to backup the mass storage and another 16 drives (spinning disks) in mirrors that I use for iSCSI. I would love to have the speed of SSDs for my iSCSI pool, but I just can't afford that at home.
Many people that develop solutions for a business don't post here. It would be nice if more would. Some that come and ask questions won't share a lot of details with us, but there have been a few that used pools of SSDs.
Putting it all in one box shouldn't be a problem.
You will might want to put ESXi on the bare metal and virtualize FreeNAS and other operating systems. There is a good post about that here:

Build Report: Node 304 + X10SDV-TLN4F [ESXi/FreeNAS AIO]
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...node-304-x10sdv-tln4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/

You probably will not need a SLOG drive if you are using SSDs but you might read this post to get more information.

Testing the benefits of SLOG
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/testing-the-benefits-of-slog-using-a-ram-disk.56561

12x (or more if they fit) 2.5" ssd's in the rear slots. Since I'm still investigating this, model and configuration TBD. (I know some have suggested not using the rear slots for 3.5" hdd's due to air flow issues, is this true for 2.5" ssd's also?)
You would need adapters to put the 2.5" drives in the 3.5" bays and the reduced resistance of the smaller drives will allow for good airflow. Should be fine. Here are some good adapters:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-2-5...er-Converter-HDD-Bay-Bracket-HOT/263136761303
The 10Gbe card included with the system seems to be an Intel x520, it's paid for, so is it worth swapping out for a Chelsio?
The Intel card should be fine.
Do I need to look at additional/better HBA cards? SAS3? Any reason to do a separate card per pool?
No need to change for the spinning disks, but there might be an advantage in putting the SSDs on their own card because they will have significantly more bandwidth, but there is no need to go to a SAS3 card. As long as it is PCIe 3.0 like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-H220-6G...0-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/162862201664
I am not sure what adapter is included but with SSDs you could actually run into a bottleneck at the PCIe bus interface if that card has a 2.0 interface. The system board in that server should be able to support PCIe 3.0 if I recall correctly. Just going from memory.

beerandt

Cadet
Thanks for the quick replies!

I don't think there's any inherent reason that this is a bad idea. I wouldn't bother to upgrade the HBA unless you're also going to upgrade the backplanes. I'd question whether a SLOG would really help on an all-SSD pool.

That was my instinct, speed wise, but the SLOG primer makes such an issue out of data integrity and having a non-volatile device or one with a battery, that I wasn't sure how it all fits together. That being said, it will probably be expendable vm images on the SSD's, so it might not be a big deal anyway. Is the main concern a power loss situation? ie, IF there is data corruption do to a power spike/event, will it be obvious? As long as I know it happened, and knew not to save out a potentially corrupt image, I think it would be ok.

You probably will not need a SLOG drive if you are using SSDs but you might read this post to get more information.
I know SLOG's seem to be a hard to grasp thing around here, and I know I have a bit more reading to do on it. The main takeaway I just made skimming that link is that you can add, remove, and reconfigure them fairly quickly. Up until know, I had the impression (I don't know why) of them being as being an integral and permanent part of a drive pool (kind of like hardware raid). Knowing that they are modular and flexible helps take the stress out of the decision.

What format are the drives you are talking about importing?
Generally, data goes into the NAS by way of the network. Direct connection of drives is not always possible.

Most are plain jbod windows formatted ntfs, mostly gpt, but some mbr. A couple are ext3 from old database machines. I figured if I have to insert them into a machine anyway to do the transfer, it might as well be local.
Since the Thecus' are still active, I was planning on a network transfer. They are supposedly vanilla software raid6 ext4. You are supposed to be able to pull the drives and insert them into any linux (or windows, with some addl steps) machine and have them work, but I've heard horror stories. They're the kind of machines that once you get them working, you say a novena and don't touch.

You will might want to put ESXi on the bare metal and virtualize FreeNAS and other operating systems.

I'm just getting into figuring out the software side of things, and this is what I was leaning towards, but I recall coming across a couple of threads warning of some issues if you do that, which had me hesitant. But most of my reading so far has been focused on hardware, so I'll have to revisit that thread with that in mind.

I would love to have the speed of SSDs for my iSCSI pool, but I just can't afford that at home.
Many people that develop solutions for a business don't post here. It would be nice if more would. Some that come and ask questions won't share a lot of details with us, but there have been a few that used pools of SSDs.
I guess I assumed that with 12 slots remaining, and not wanting to block air with 3.5" drives, that this was the route to go. But this is a means to an end, so if I can get by with using 3.5" spinners in say, 6 of the rear slots (presumably leaving enough space for airflow in the other 6) and still get some decent performance, then I'd love to save the cash. Without crunching numbers myself, I had just gotten the impression that most of the "performance" pools I have come across had significantly more than 6 (or even 12) drives involved. Maybe this is worth investigating more, especially since it will be a 2nd phase thing.

Re: the business thing, it is a shame. Especially since most places I've worked or worked with, when faced with investigating something like this, would buy one or more rigs right off the bat and do in-house, hands-on comparisons before implementing anything new. And whoever did it would probably have to write up a report on the options and cost effectiveness. I'm not sure how universal that is (I'm in engineering, not IT).

I am not sure what adapter is included but with SSDs you could actually run into a bottleneck at the PCIe bus interface if that card has a 2.0 interface. The system board in that server should be able to support PCIe 3.0 if I recall correctly.
Good to be aware of. It does have PCIe 3.0 slots, I believe 6 if I remember correctly. Although I'm not sure if there's any limitation/implication since 3 are assigned to each processor, and I don't think the available slots were symmetric to each. These multi-processor issues are completely new to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.