3-way mirror ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anankeo

Cadet
For added availability I'm considering building a RAID0 pool on top of several 3 way-RAID1 vdevs built with 4TB hard drives.
However I'm wondering :
- Will the read performances be better compared to a 2-way mirror ?
- What if a second drive fails in the same vdev during the reconstruction ? Does ZFS handle this transparently (ie uses the remaining healthy drive for reconstruction without downtime) ?
- How does ZFS reconstruct a failed raid1 vdev if it has 2 available mirror drives ? Will it use both drives, reducing by half the access on the mirrored drives, or will it use only one drive ?
Thanks ;)

Arwen

MVP
For added availability I'm considering building a RAID0 pool on top of several 3 way-RAID1 vdevs built with 4TB hard drives.
However I'm wondering :
- Will the read performances be better compared to a 2-way mirror ?
Yes, barring other bottlenecks like network or PCIe lanes to the disk controller chip.
- What if a second drive fails in the same vdev during the reconstruction ? Does ZFS handle this transparently (ie uses the remaining healthy drive for reconstruction without downtime) ?
Yes.
- How does ZFS reconstruct a failed raid1 vdev if it has 2 available mirror drives ? Will it use both drives, reducing by half the access on the mirrored drives, or will it use only one drive ?
Thanks ;)
Sorry, don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I'm considering building a RAID0 pool on top of several 3 way-RAID1 vdevs
You can't do nested RAID levels with ZFS. Pools are made of vdevs, and vdevs are made of physical drives. Redundancy is present at the vdev level.

EDIT: now I see you're talking about striped vdevs. OK, that's how ZFS works, carry on ...
:oops:
(but using proper ZFS terminology would help to avoid confusion)

anankeo

Cadet
Yes, barring other bottlenecks like network or PCIe lanes to the disk controller chip.

Yes.

Sorry, don't know.

Thanks Arwen, I guess this is something I can try and see if both drives are working during the reconstruction.

anankeo

Cadet
You can't do nested RAID levels with ZFS. Pools are made of vdevs, and vdevs are made of physical drives. Redundancy is present at the vdev level.

EDIT: now I see you're talking about striped vdevs. OK, that's how ZFS works, carry on ...
:oops:
(but using proper ZFS terminology would help to avoid confusion)

Hehe sorry for the confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.