2 TrueNAS systems backing up to each other remotely

SparkyS

Cadet
I have a TrueNAS file/media/game server at home. I would like to build another system to have a remote backup of my system. I was thinking I could keep the other system at a friend's house, and they could use the other system as their own NAS/media server. Then our two systems could backup to each other.

Where I'm lost is how do I configure this behavior? Would I be setting up a cloud sync task? How do I setup the remote networking?
Also the backup files of the other system need to be excluded from this system's backup, otherwise the backup sizes would exponentially increase.
Can I allocate a certain amount of space for each system/backup so one system doesn't fill all the storage of both systems?
Also this part is not a big concern: Can the backups be encrypted for the other system? and can/should the backup be compressed to save space?

Could anyone suggest some resources for configuring two TrueNAS systems to communicate with each other as I have described?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Where I'm lost is how do I configure this behavior? Would I be setting up a cloud sync task?
Replication task

How do I setup the remote networking?
A VPN (like the builtin OpenVPN) would do it.

Also the backup files of the other system need to be excluded from this system's backup, otherwise the backup sizes would exponentially increase.
So don't include that path in the replication task settings.

Can I allocate a certain amount of space for each system/backup so one system doesn't fill all the storage of both systems?
Not really if you're using replication... you need to design so that the backup is able to fit (or reduce your backup snapshot retention appropriately).

Also this part is not a big concern: Can the backups be encrypted for the other system? and can/should the backup be compressed to save space?
Yes, settings allow for encryption on the remote side (without the key being present there). compression won't be possible with replication, you could use other software if you think you have data compressible enough to warrant that.

Could anyone suggest some resources for configuring two TrueNAS systems to communicate with each other as I have described?
There are loads of threads on replication tasks and setting up OpenVPN... also the documentation.