16Gbit FC and 10GBit Ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Watkins

Dabbler
We are looking to build a 48x SSD array to support a platform where we need around 3-4 GByte/sec throughput.
Our thoughts are to use a pair of HP DL380p boxes which support 24 drives each.
Im assuming we can run 2 FreeNas arrays to support the 48 SSDs.

Looking for thoughts/feedback on our options and choices.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
We are looking to build a 48x SSD array to support a platform where we need around 3-4 GByte/sec throughput.
Across the network? That's basically 40GbE territory, nothing less is going to manage that.
Our thoughts are to use a pair of HP DL380p boxes which support 24 drives each.
You mean two separate servers?
Im assuming we can run 2 FreeNas arrays to support the 48 SSDs.
You mean some sort of fancy solution that allows you to magically use two servers as one? No, FreeNAS has no such thing.

But let's rewind a little:
HP DL380p
That seems like an odd choice at best, considering the performance requirements.

I'd suggest you contact iXsystems and ask them for a quote for your requirements.

Ron Watkins

Dabbler
No, the 3-4Gb/s would be across fiber, 16Gbit fiber specifically.
Each DL308p would have 2x 16Gb ports which should yield a max of 3GByte/sec per host. By striping luns across 2 nodes I could get in excess of 4-5GByte/sec in theory.
Im assuming that each freenas box would operate independently, and the hosts would get luns from both and stripe them to boost performance.
As for the dl380p, it is 1 generation old, using v2 processors, however, the 2690 v2 is near the top of the v2 charts. I was thinking that 2 boxes with 2x e5-2690v2 procs would be sufficient. It sounds like you think this will be under powered? Should I use a Gen 9 box with v4 processors instead?I looked at ixsystems and sent emails over the past month, but got no reply. It looks like they only sell complete systems, but we already have the SSDs in house. I didnt see any FC solutions either and FC is core to our performance requirements.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
No, the 3-4Gb/s would be across fiber, 16Gbit fiber specifically.
Each DL308p would have 2x 16Gb ports which should yield a max of 3GByte/sec per host. By striping luns across 2 nodes I could get in excess of 4-5GByte/sec in theory.
Im assuming that each freenas box would operate independently, and the hosts would get luns from both and stripe them to boost performance.
As for the dl380p, it is 1 generation old, using v2 processors, however, the 2690 v2 is near the top of the v2 charts. I was thinking that 2 boxes with 2x e5-2690v2 procs would be sufficient. It sounds like you think this will be under powered? Should I use a Gen 9 box with v4 processors instead?I looked at ixsystems and sent emails over the past month, but got no reply. It looks like they only sell complete systems, but we already have the SSDs in house. I didnt see any FC solutions either and FC is core to our performance requirements.

That is not how FreeNAS is intended to be used. You need to contact the sales department at iXsystems.

On a side note, unless something has changed recently, fiber channel is not supported in FreeNAS, meaning the kind of fiber channel normally used in disk subsystems. I use a MELLANOX 10GB CONNECTX2 - MNPA19-XTR, but I remember reading that "fiber channel" was not supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.