11.3 Trouble setting up replication from Debian box

Sarsi

Cadet
Hi, my main NAS runs Debian Buster, I recently came into possession of a N40L microserver and decided to use this as a backup destination using zfs replication. I chose FreeNAS mainly to run it from a usb stick.

I've followed the documentation to setup the SSH Keypair and SSH Connection, copying the public key over to my debian box. When I go to setup the replication task with the debian box as the source location and click on the folder to choose the source I get an error

ExecException
sh: 1: zfs: not found
Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
    io_thread=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1084, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/replication.py", line 702, in list_datasets
    return await self.middleware.call("zettarepl.list_datasets", transport, ssh_credentials)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1141, in call
    app=app, pipes=pipes, job_on_progress_cb=job_on_progress_cb, io_thread=True,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1084, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zettarepl.py", line 426, in list_datasets
    datasets = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(list_datasets, shell)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/run_in_thread.py", line 10, in run_in_thread
    return await self.loop.run_in_executor(self.run_in_thread_executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zettarepl/dataset/list.py", line 12, in list_datasets
    return [dataset["name"] for dataset in list_datasets_with_properties(shell, dataset, recursive)]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zettarepl/dataset/list.py", line 28, in list_datasets_with_properties
    return [dict(zip(properties, line.split("\t"))) for line in filter(None, shell.exec(args).split("\n"))]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zettarepl/transport/interface.py", line 83, in exec
    return self.exec_async(args, encoding, stdout).wait()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zettarepl/transport/base_ssh.py", line 40, in wait
    raise ExecException(exitcode, stdout)
zettarepl.transport.interface.ExecException: sh: 1: zfs: not found

I suspect this may be to do with the ssh connection, if I go to the shell and ssh to the debian box using my user name I am still asked for a password. I believe I have the public key setup correctly as I've set this up correctly to ssh to the debian box from my workstation but I could have some detail wrong.

Is the freenas shell a valid way to test if the ssh connection is setup correctly or does the error message above indicate the issue is elsewhere?

sretalla