11.2 Plugins or standard jails?

dnilgreb

Contributor
I am running a FreeNAS 9.10.2-U6 which has been running great for a long time.
Now 11.2 is out, and I am somewhat tempted to upgrade. The main thing holding me back is jails.
I have a few jails (warden) installed. The way to go back when I set them up was installing everything manually into standard jails, as the Plugins would be far behind on updates. Is that still the case, or can you update iocage plugins as you would a standard jail?
What is the recommended way to do this nowadays?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Jails are still the way to go. Search the forum for “jail migration script” for information on how to covert your warden jails to iocage jails.

sremick

Patron
I just recreated my Plex jail from scratch to get it on iocage, then followed my normal procedure for transferring the data over. It's pretty simple.

Luckily since 11.2/iocage allow you to upgrade the base OS in the jail, I don't see myself having to periodically recreate my jail and perform these steps like I used to.

ThreeDee

Guru
install the plug in and then use the PMS_Updater.sh script to get latest greatest version of Plex sooner rather than later

sremick

Patron
install the plug in and then use the PMS_Updater.sh script to get latest greatest version of Plex sooner rather than later
No thanks. That method depends on a third-party "hack" and when the script needs updating to catch up with changes, you're dependent on the maintainer to fix the script.

My method, on the other hand, uses canonical OS update methods and so it is reliable, always works, and contains no hacks.

snicke

Explorer
No thanks. That method depends on a third-party "hack" and when the script needs updating to catch up with changes, you're dependent on the maintainer to fix the script.

My method, on the other hand, uses canonical OS update methods and so it is reliable, always works, and contains no hacks.

Could you describe your method step-by-step?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad