11.2 Dashboard reports incorrect amount of free storage

Mark Stega

Dabbler
I upgraded my FreeNAS server from 11.1U6 to 11.2; I have a single storage pool of 4x4Gb disks in a Z2 configuration. The dashboard is reporting 3.74 Tb free however if I pick Storage/Pools I see 5.21 Tb used and 1.59 Tb available. These numbers are correct, the top level dashboard is not.

{Edit} I looked again at the Storage/Pools tab and I am now officially confused. At the top of the Storage/Pool report it shows "Healthy(10.74 (74%) TiB used, 3.74 TiB free" and then the single dataset shows the numbers I reported above. I don't understand how the pool numbers are useful and would much rather have the dataset(s) reported on the top level dashboard.

Last edited:

rfanch3r

Dabbler
I agree, this is very confusing. It makes it look like I have more storage than I actually have.

Whats showing: HEALTHY (5.72 TiB (13%) Used / 37.91 TiB Free)
What it really is: Used: 4.17TB Available: 26.53TB <-- this is more useful and I don't feel I should click into Storage then the Pools to see this value.

Alecmascot

Guru
I upgraded my FreeNAS server from 11.1U6 to 11.2; I have a single storage pool of 4x4Gb disks in a Z2 configuration. The dashboard is reporting 3.74 Tb free however if I pick Storage/Pools I see 5.21 Tb used and 1.59 Tb available. These numbers are correct, the top level dashboard is not.

{Edit} I looked again at the Storage/Pools tab and I am now officially confused. At the top of the Storage/Pool report it shows "Healthy(10.74 (74%) TiB used, 3.74 TiB free" and then the single dataset shows the numbers I reported above. I don't understand how the pool numbers are useful and would much rather have the dataset(s) reported on the top level dashboard.

You must raise a ticket if you want anything done.....

Magius

Explorer
This has been bothering me too. It seems like the discrepancy is the dashboard using the data from a 'zpool status' command while the table under storage -> pools shows the (IMO correct) data from 'zfs list'.

I have a single pool with two Z2 vdevs, each with 6x 3TB drives. So I expect to have ~22TiB total usable space. 'zfs list' and the storage -> pools table both show 8.7 TiB used and 12.3 TiB available, which is 21 TiB total. Close enough to what I expected.

'zpool list' on the other hand shows a 32.5 TiB pool with 13.1 allocated and 19.4 free. I understand that my 12x 3TB drives add up to ~32.5 TiB total, but that's not a very helpful figure given 4 of them are lost to parity. And the 19.4 TiB free figure is even less useful IMO. The dashboard reports "19.44 TiB Free" for me, so like I said above it seems like it should be using the 'zfs list' data to report 12.3 TiB free instead.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's a matter of "correct" vs "incorrect" (because both numbers are correct), but more vs. less useful. A feature request has been put in for this; hopefully the devs will change this in a future release.