SOLVED Showed Usable Capacity by Storage Dashboard is not as expected

Berettone45

Cadet
Dear Gentlemen,

first of all let me state that I am a neophyte in using Trunas and that I am not an experienced technician, nevertheless I have successfully configured my small NAS using an old Intel i7-3770K with 32 GByte of RAM and some 2 Tbyte IDE hard disks, and I have used it for several months first in tests and then in production without encountering any particular critical issues.

However, I am now experiencing unexpected behavior in Truenas Scale version 22.12.2. Suddenly the storage dashboard began to show an incorrect value of the usable capacity relative to the volume in use (VAULT). I have a configuration with a total of 4 x 2 TByte disks with RAIDZ1 configuration, that in fact have always ensured me an availability of space around 5.5 Tib as it should be, but suddenly and inexplicably the usage indicator began to signal a maximum usable capacity of 2.89 Tib (see below picture) and the available space jumped from 37% where it was before to almost 66% current without adding more data or taking snapshots or something else. Really I can't understand how this is possible with this type of configuration.

1684054959439.jpeg

The only exceptional event that has happened and that I remember since this anomaly occurred, was an uncontrolled shutdown of Truenas caused by a voltage drop, I don't know if this event may have created inconsistencies, but basically looking at the log there are no evidence of errors or issue of any type, ZFS is health state and all the disks are in health state too.

The singular thing is that by checking for space availability on network folder connected to the NAS storage from a remote computer via SMB, it indicate a value that is consistent with the theoretical space availability of 5.5 Tib, so seems that what the storage dashboard show me isn’t what really i can get.

I could be wrong but in general my expectation using RAIDZ1 with 4 x 2 Tbyte hard disk is to have almost 5.5 Tib of usable capacity instead of 2.89 Tib like showed by the dashboard.

I kindly ask if anyone has already experienced this type of problem and possibly if they have managed to solve it.

This is my first post in this forum so I hope I haven't made too many mistakes.

Thank you.

Regards.

Sergio.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
You would need to look at the disk space reports and also review the datasets... have you reserved space??

Berettone45

Cadet
Hi Captain Morgan,

thank you for your reply but in the meantime I have solved the problem. It was my mistake, I inadvertently set a quota of 1 Tib to the pool (VAULT), now I deleted the quota and the usable space is back to the expected value.

1684172847362.png

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Sergio.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
It might still be good to show reserved space... if it's easy to calculate.