TrueNAS and fusion pool

Fred974

Contributor
Hi,

I have building and TrueNAS server with a Super Micro 1U CSE-510T-200B Chassis for my Homelab setup. The server will have 2 ssd for the TrueNAS OS and I will connect a Dell MD1200 JBOD via SAS H200E.

The MD1200 has a 12 bays support. I will have 6x 3TB spinning HDD and 6x SAS SSD. Could anyone please advise on how the fusion pool would be setup in my case?

The plan is to have 2x pools in raidz2 1x ssd pool for fast storage like XCP-NG etc and 1x spinning for slower stuff like files.

The case can host 4x more ssd if needed.

Could anyone please help me understand how to create the pool in ‘hybrid’ mode? Do I create 2 pool with 2 metadata vdev made of 2 ssd each?
Using a Mirror layout is possible, but it is strongly recommended to keep the layout identical to the other vdevs.

Does this mean I need another 12 HDD for the metadata vdev?

Thank you

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Could anyone please help me understand how to create the pool in ‘hybrid’ mode? Do I create 2 pool with 2 metadata vdev made of 2 ssd each?
Does this mean I need another 12 HDD for the metadata vdev?
What's important is to consider the fault tolerance level you have selected for the pool...

If your data VDEV(s) are structured to tolerate loss of 2 disks, then the metadata VDEV should probably allow the same (in this case, that means a 3-way mirror is the best option).

If your metadata VDEV is lost, your pool goes with it, so I hope that makes sense to match the VDEVs in terms of redundancy level.

Your pool only needs one metadata VDEV (but you need one per pool if you want the pool to benefit from fast metadata). There was some talk originally about the desire to have a small number of SSDs divided into partitions in order to be used to cover more than one pool, but that's another level of (unsupported) messing around at the CLI, so decide if you want to go down that road.

Fred974

Contributor
Hi @sretalla
If I create 2 pool with 6 HDD in Raidz2, am I correct to say that the tolerate loss of 2 disks ? So if I follow your logic, I will need 3 drive for the metadata. Is my understanding correct?

Also Is fusion pool worth it? Will I be better creating 2x classic raidz2 pool and call it a day?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
There is a big benefit to having a sVDEV if you have to deal with lots of small files and/or want the metadata to be always super quick (think browsing, rsync, and like tasks).

That said, I got good rsync performance out of a metadata-only L2ARC and as of 12.x, said L2ARC can be made persistent between reboots. The beauty of L2ARC is that it is not critical to system performance and hence can be detached, fail, etc. with nary a consequence (L2ARC stores a copy of the underlying data, not the data itself). That stands in stark contrast to the sVDEV which needs n-way redundancy, quality SSDs that can handle a lot of writes, etc. since the pool will go kaput if the sVDEV fails. Hence, my Z3 pool features a 3-way SSD sVDEV mirror, with a cold but qualified spare SSD nearby.

However, for your application, two pools might make more sense since you have a complete set of SSDs and so on. I'd consider a persistent, metadata-only L2ARC for the HDD pool to make browsing faster. My metadata-only L2ARC sizing was 1TB for a 40-TB pool. Any SSD will do for L2ARC duty, though faster ones will help somewhat. L2ARC consumes some RAM, the recommendation generally is to have at least 32GB of RAM, with 64+GB being preferable.

Last edited:

Fred974

Contributor
@Constantin Thank you for your advise, I thinl L2ARC is a better option for as you said, I don't have to worry loosing disk then.
Will L2ARC cache both pool?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
L2ARc is applied on a per pool basis, IIRC. I’d only use it for the HDD-based pool. No benefit for the SSD pool.

Fred974

Contributor
L2ARc is applied on a per pool basis, IIRC. I’d only use it for the HDD-based pool. No benefit for the SSD pool.
Thank you very much for all your advice. I'm learning quite a bit here... I will find an old ssd to use on the HDD pool. However the motherboard supports max of 32gb and has currently got 12gb installed. Can I get away with it? Do I have to get the max 32gb ram?

Thank you

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Hmmm. The 3-way mirror of SSDs in a SVDEV will only show up as a single drive. So you will lose capacity vs. having two z2 pools consisting of 6 drives each.

If you want a fast scratch drive and a slower, higher capacity drive then a two pool solution makes more sense to me. Especially with just 12GB of RAM.

Fred974

Contributor
I was meaning adding 3 ssd in the server case. I will still keep the 6x ssd for the pool.
Does the size of the drive matter for the sVDEV SSD drive?

sretalla