New Plugin Available: Plex Media Server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus33

Patron
Unfortunately its quite apparent now that the update option for plugins is still broken.

For plex you either hang at 50% or it complete after hours but doesn't work.

J

jkh

Unfortunately its quite apparent now that the update option for plugins is still broken.

For plex you either hang at 50% or it complete after hours but doesn't work.

Any debug messages? Is there a bug filed for this yet? The guy who does the plugin updater can't fix what he doesn't have staring at him from his bug queue. :)

Thanks.

Magnus33

Patron
Its already been reported and closed seems the person reporting jumped the gun a bit.

Not seeing any messages it just stays at 50% although its perfectly easy to reproduce by just clicking the update button.

All try updating again this evening and see what shows up but only after the love of my life watches her shows.
(much safer that way ;) )

J

jkh

Its already been reported and closed seems the person reporting jumped the gun a bit.

Bug number? Remember, folks, just because a bug is closed doesn't mean it can't be opened again - I've re-opened numerous bugs when I got follow-ups to suggest that perhaps the problem hadn't gone away, or had morphed into a different manifestation of the same issue. You can also always file a new bug. Bugs are free. Don't assume that if someone filed a bug similar to yours, that you can't file one of your own; you may have different information to share, and even if we mark one as a duplicate of another, there is now a link between the two that can be followed.

J

jkh

Unfortunalty with 16 tb of media that's a long process. :(

Good thing there nothing critacal in the update.

Wait, you don't have your media in a dataset external to the jail, and simply mount it in there with the jail storage manager? That seems very precarious if so!

Magnus33

Patron
Wait, you don't have your media in a dataset external to the jail, and simply mount it in there with the jail storage manager? That seems very precarious if so!

Of course i do but it still takes a long time to rescan after deleting.
No matter how you cut it large collections take a long time to rescan.

Rick Johnson

Dabbler
I'm going on several hours. After babysitting a ps and top session for a bit to see why it's taking so long, it would seem the "patch" process is quite inefficient for Plex. It seems the update/patch script process goes down the route of tarring up the entire Plex installation (sans jail template) using the -J flag to chew up CPU (and compress 10.8+GB into a 4.1GB tarball), sha256sum on said tarball, untars it again into a temp directory, performs a line-count for a file count, pipe some output through sed, grepping some output each and every individual file in the tracking directory (there are thousands in my case), and then who knows what (I'm still in that nasty long grep phase). The script also seems to run every command in verbose mode, but doesn't appear to log the data anywhere meaningful.

My Plex installation is 10+ GB with all of the media I track (1.8TB across 38k photos, 6.8k MP3s, and hundreds of MKVs). I'm going on several hours for the upgrade with no end in site. I'm thinking the media scan process was faster, but I'm reluctant to rematch some of the manual edits to my media info.

If the installer/upgrade mechanism were able to exclude the entire Plex "database", this process would go MUCH faster! Alternately, come up with a better way to overlay the upgrade, then apply patches to config files should the structure change significantly.

Magnus33

Patron
I'm going on several hours. After babysitting a ps and top session for a bit to see why it's taking so long, it would seem the "patch" process is quite inefficient for Plex. It seems the update/patch script process goes down the route of tarring up the entire Plex installation (sans jail template) using the -J flag to chew up CPU (and compress 10.8+GB into a 4.1GB tarball), sha256sum on said tarball, untars it again into a temp directory, performs a line-count for a file count, pipe some output through sed, grepping some output each and every individual file in the tracking directory (there are thousands in my case), and then who knows what (I'm still in that nasty long grep phase). The script also seems to run every command in verbose mode, but doesn't appear to log the data anywhere meaningful.

My Plex installation is 10+ GB with all of the media I track (38k photos, 6.8k MP3s, and hundreds of MKVs. I'm going on several hours for the upgrade with no end in site. I'm thinking the media scan process was faster, but I'm reluctant to rematch some of the manual edits to my media info.

If the installer/upgrade mechanism were able to exclude the entire Plex "database", this process would go MUCH faster! Alternately, come up with a better way to overlay the upgrade, then apply patches to config files should the structure change significantly.

You beat me too it. ;)

I figured that this was the case since it finished for others and never did for me after five hours.
Processing the entire database just wont work for large collections and its actually quicker to delete plex and redo (which i just did).
This seem to be a over-site since i can see no reason for processing the whole database of media.

J

jkh

You know what I'm going to say, guys. :smile:

Please file a bug! I think it's fairly clear that the plugin updater is taking a conservative, generic approach since it has to work for *all* plugins, past, present and future (since plugins are decoupled from FreeNAS releases and can be added/changed at any time) and perhaps a plugin can also be extended to have an "exclude" list or something, so that on a per-plugin basis we can do the right thing while still keeping the update process generic.

benamira

Explorer
Just to reinforce the message, I think my case could reflect a lot more users.
I am using Plex for a long time...
Recently i installed the plugin, because this feature is in my opinion the best for Plex and big repository users...
I have a big collection, over 12 TB and i have spent over a week customizing my huge library, 70% automatically and 30% manually.
Lots of custom covers, lots of personal video files, lots of metadata...
So the Plex Data Base is critical and it would be necessary to have a method to keep all this data during upgrades...

In the meantime i have not upgraded from my current version 0.9.8.10

thanks for all the progress...

majorgear

Dabbler
I just noticed there is only an "install" option and not an "update" option for the Plex plugin. I clicked on install and it created a new jail :( It's really late where I"m at so researching the best way to update my Plex Media Server while preserving the hours of work that have gone into customizing the media library.

Edit -
I forgot to mention my FreeNAS version - 9.1.1. . I 'll look at upgrading to 9.2 over the next few days. I'm still pretty new to FreeNAS so it takes me a while to research and get confident about performing what are probably 'basic' tasks to most members.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just noticed there is only an "install" option and not an "update" option for the Plex plugin. I clicked on install and it created a new jail :( It's really late where I"m at so researching the best way to update my Plex Media Server while preserving the hours of work that have gone into customizing the media library.

Did you update to FreeNAS 9.2.0?

majorgear

Dabbler
Did you update to FreeNAS 9.2.0?
I upgraded to 9.2 yesterday. Then I
Stopped the plex plugin
Copied my usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex Media Server folder to a folder outside of the jail as a backup.
Updated the plugin using the plugin "update" feature. - this took a very long time, and the WebGUI stays at 50% as if it was stuck, but eventually it finished.
**Here is where I started to have problems.
I started the Plex plugin and could not open the Web Interface
I ssh'd into the plex jail and saw only a single plexmediaserver process running, which I knew was not right
I stopping Plex, restoring the library from backup , and starting to no avail.
At this point, I gave up, deleted and reinstalled the plugin.
I restored the library again, including changing file ownership from root:plex to plex:plex
I recreated the media link that points from the Plex jail to my Media folder.
I started Plex up and everything was there.

The upgrade did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. I may have been able to get Plex working after the upgrade, but I just wanted to get it working so I took the brute force approach.

If someone else does the update, has the same issue I did but identified and fixed the issue, I hope that they post it here so that others can have a better experience than I did.

At least it works. I'll try to be more patient when the next Plex plugin update is release.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

marian78

Patron
Hi, i dont know if it help someone, but i update PLEX from jail installation settings in web gui. There is button for manual installation PBI. I started new installation on existing jail with PLEX, linked manually downloaded new verzion PBI. After update I restore database from backup and set owner to plex:plex.

Odoslané z Grand X In pomocou Tapatalku

Status
Not open for further replies.