Missing Partition Reporting

vyper013

Cadet
Hi All,

Something weird has happened to my system. I am missing the "Partition" information in my reporting menu. I used to have it and its been lost somewhere along they way. I am not sure which update it happened. I have updated to the latest (23.10.1) to see if it would make a difference. Any clues??

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 07.58.54.png

Arwen

MVP
Seems to be the same on my TrueNAS SCALE test VM. It is also on 23.10.0.1.

What was the Partition reporting used for?

vyper013

Cadet
Interesting..... it basically shows capacity utilisation over time of your Datasets....graphically. Which is was a nice was to keep tabs on long term trends of utilisation.

Arwen

MVP
Ah, I think the wording "partition" would be wrong for the context you describe. Some of the old wording used in FreeNAS did not work well with ZFS, since the original FreeNAS used UFS and OS supplied software RAID.

For example, today calling a ZFS pool a "volume" is a bit odd. ZFS supports something called a volume, that is NOT the pool. It is a container for either RAW data or another file system. Like for iSCSI volumes or NFS shares to VMWare, (or even just a client's remote disk).

So the dataset capacity report may still be present, but moved to a more appropriate space.

If you are certain it was their before a recent update, and want the new location, you can either make a better worded forum message. Or create a Jira ticket to have development tell you the new location.

LarsR

Guru
My guess would be it was removed during the implementation of netdata as the reporting backend on scale . I'm not sure netdata could display a per Dataset graph but rather a graph for a whole pool.

vyper013

Cadet
ahh ok..... so this has been since the Cobia release..... its a shame, because it would be nice to natively be able to track dataset utilisation.

thanks for the insight!!

vyper013

Cadet
Heya @dwmurphy2 as per LarsR post it appears that TrueNAS have changed their back end reporting (I didn't follow the release notes that closely!! ) so it seems this has been "lost". I am sure there is a way to extract it, but I don't have the time to put in the effort......

Not to be picky @Arwen - I took the word "partition" from the TrueNAS documentation (See here). I fully understand the comment but I am using the nomenclature from TrueNas themselves to keep it clear for everyone, rather than use the technically correct terms that may confuse. I am a 30 year veteran of data centre tech so I hear you!! :wink:

dwmurphy2

Cadet
My point is that there is a link on the Storage page that links to Disk Space Reports, and it just takes you to the Disk I/O and Temperature reports, so something needs to be fixed.

1706464937494.png

I was wondering if a bug report had already been created, and if not, I will create one.
Thanks!
Dave

Kuro Houou

Contributor
I just noticed this is missing as well.. I really hope this is a bug, i was one of my most used reports to keep track of overall usage of storage.

soleous

Dabbler
Just noticed this myself as I was need to look at the history. Is this this report now gone?

FriedLemons

Cadet
Hi, is there any update on this?

I used to use this reporting but it is no longer there.

My current OS is: TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2