zfs replication inside jail and feature@large_dnode

nico-truenas

Cadet
Hi all

I'm running a TrueNAS 12 system and I would like to replicate some zfs snaphosts to a jail hosted on another TrueNAS server of a friend of mine.

He has created a jail and a dedicated dataset for me, I can see it in the jail, everything looks fine.

But when I use zfs send/zfs receive, I get the following message "cannot receive new filesystem stream: invalid backup stream".

I have spent a lot of time searching the internet and I wonder if the feature large_dnode is not the issue.

From the target jail, I can see that the zpool has this feature inactive/unsupported "unsupported@org.zfsonlinux:large_dnode inactive local". But this feature is enable if I ask my friend to query the pool directly from the TrueNas system "feature@large_dnode enabled local".

We don't want to use TrueNAS replication as it will give me access to all the data of my friend's NAS via SSH. Or we have to spend time to do a setup to avoid that.

Is there a way to solve this issue ? Or I'm totally wrong with this approach ?

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is there a way to solve this issue ? Or I'm totally wrong with this approach ?
Not sure, but you might want to think about this:

Has anything like that been set on the remote jail?

nico-truenas

Cadet
Hi sretalla

yes everything has been setup on the remote jail. I can use zfs create on it without issue

Only the zfs send/receive part is not working

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
when I use zfs send/zfs receive, I get the following message "cannot receive new filesystem stream: invalid backup stream".
can you share the details of this command you're using? perhaps there's some syntax or logic problem we can help you to correct somehow.

nico-truenas

Cadet
This is the command I'm using

zfs send data/nextcloud@autosnap_2021-03-14_18:53:11_daily | ssh -p xxx yyyy "zfs recv all_data/NicoJail/nextcloud"
cannot receive new filesystem stream: invalid backup stream

I have also tried sanoid/syncoid and got the same message

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

sretalla