Windows 10 shows "incorrect password" after restarting FreeNAS

Pauldu

Dabbler
I've seen a lot of newbies like myself posting a similar question. I have tried every solution I've found but have not been able to resolve it. I am using 3 windows 10 computers to access my NAS box running version FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1. Whenever I restart FreeNAS I lose access to all my mapped drives on every computer, windows always returns a message the password is incorrect. I can see the FreeNAS box under networks, but windows tells me I do not have permissions to access.

The only solution I have found that works, which is very cumbersome, is to reset the user passwords in the freeNAS gui to exactly the same passwords, restart the SMB service and then it all magically works again. I need to get this fixed as my wife stores business files on the NAS and a few times she can't do anything until I'm back home. We're doing work on the house, so power has been on and off frequently in recent times.

I have found and tried all of the following, all with no success:
* restarting both the computers and FreeNAS in all combinations
* deleting the stored credentials in windows 10, and reentered the credentials
* disconnected the mapped drives, but then can not reconnect. Tried this both through file explorer and "net use" in cmd shell running as admin.
* restarting the SMB service in FreeNAS, combined with various combinations of restarting windows
* restarting the "workstation" service in windows
* disabled smb v1.0 in windows
* In windows "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level", set it to NTLMv2 response only/refuse LM and NTLM."
* in FreeNAS SMB service added auxiliary parameter "ntlm auth = yes"
* created separate freeNAS users for each computer, just in case it was causing an issue with the same user being logged on in multiple computers at the same time.

As mentioned above, it all magically works if I reset the users password in freeNAS to exactly the same password. To make a little more confusing, sometimes resetting 1 password makes everything work again on all computers, but other times I've needed to reset the password for every single user, and to reiterate I set it to be exactly the same as the previous password, after changing the password in freeNAS, I don't need to restart windows, I just restart the SMB service in freeNAS.

I'm hoping someone out there has a very easy solution to this.

Thx

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The SMB service not accepting connections after boot issue is fixed in 11.3-U3.2.

Pauldu

Dabbler
Thanks, I appreciate the reply, I just discovered auto updates is not working, when I tried to auto update I received the message "Unable to connect to url https://update-master.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS/trains.txt", so I manually updated to 11.3-U3.2 .

Firstly, it hasn't resolved the issue, after I updated I still need to reset passwords after a boot. I tested it a few times just to be sure. It's showing the new updated version number.

Secondly, freeNAS appears to be working correctly, except I've lost the dashboard info in the gui. when I click dashboard, the area where all the dashboard info would be is blank. All other menus seem fine and the storage pools and sharing are all working properly.

Thoughts??

Samuel Tai

Are you using encrypted pools? Try clearing passphrases, resetting the keys in the pool, and setting recovery keys.

Samuel Tai

11.3-U3.2 also fixed an issue where changes to users weren't saved.

Pauldu

Dabbler
I'm pretty sure my pools are not encrypted, I can't find anything in the gui to tell me if they're encrypted or not. I'm assuming passphrases and pool keys are associated with encryption, as I can also not find any settings associated with these.

Since updating to 11.3-U3.2 my dashboard now looks like this, all other menus are fine. Any ideas why?

I also still can not connect after boot, I'm wondering if I did the manual update correctly, i used the file "FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2-manual-update.tar"

1591745415105.png

Pauldu

Dabbler
11.3-U3.2 also fixed an issue where changes to users weren't saved.
Hi Samuel, do you have any thoughts as to why my dashboard is completely blank and also after updating my version I still can not connect after a reboot?

Samuel Tai

Have you tried clearing your browser cache and history?

Samuel Tai

Have you tried running the browser developer tools (F12 in Chrome) to see what's going on under the hood? I vaguely recall something similar to this for someone who's FreeNAS certificate had gotten corrupt.

Pauldu

Dabbler
Have you tried running the browser developer tools (F12 in Chrome) to see what's going on under the hood? I vaguely recall something similar to this for someone who's FreeNAS certificate had gotten corrupt.
Assuming something may have been corrupt, I did a clean install of FreeNAS. I imported my Pools, but started clean with the configuration and users and it is now all working correctly, including reconnecting after boot. So something odd must have happened when I did the update.
Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.