Will Restore from Backup Restore Datasets and Permissions?

indivision

Guru
If I nuke my data pool and replace with new disks with a new pool and then restore data to that pool with a pull operation from a Backblaze backup will that restore my previous dataset and permission settings on the new pool (so that they appear in TrueNAS GUI same as before)?

Thank you for any insight you can give!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
CloudSync backups / restores are a file-based backup. You'll get the data back, but you'll need to go and setup your datasets / permissions properly again.

indivision

Guru
CloudSync backups / restores are a file-based backup. You'll get the data back, but you'll need to go and setup your datasets / permissions properly again.

Got it. Thank you. This helps.

Are there any guides or best practices I can refer to to help with this process? I've been running the current system for some years now. So, the permissions, etc. have become somewhat complicated.

I'm hoping to ensure that I at least capture the detail I will need before setting up the new drives so that I can have everything needed to fully restore.

indivision

Guru
After giving this some thought, the idea of having to reconstruct things on top of the files scares me. So, instead, I'm going to use replication. Luckily, I have an old "retired" computer lying around that had been used to store replication backups years ago (before I switched to using remote cloud backup). Hopefully, the dust hasn't broken it. ;)

I am presuming that with replication I can:

Restore a snapshot to the new set of drives even though they will be a larger pool.
Replication restore will bring my permissions and dataset settings back.

Am I correct?