Will Bhyve VMs eventually boot on scale?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I assume the zvol is simply a storage container for the disk. Therefore I would guess at some point we could literally boot a VM on TrueNAS scale, that was made on core, right?

Obviously, it'd be silly to expect this day one, but it would be nice after launch (at some point) just 'burning' a new USB key and booting into scale, importing all my disks and VMs?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
To the best of my knowledge TN Scale is based on Debian Linux.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The hypervisor is different, but the raw contents of the zvol would possibly run (maybe with some accommodation of drivers needing update or change in the VM).

I think there is some talk on the roadmap for making the scenario that you're describing possible.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Its likely to be possible for most VMs to migrate from Bhyve to KVM in RAW format, but this needs to be verified. there may be corner cases. Users with both editions are welcome to test.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I imagine the Bhyve IO drivers are the bigger issue, right? Presumably the raw disk format should be mostly compatible, I'd like to think but heck I'm not a coder.

Thanks all. Maybe I should fire up my test PC at some point.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Doesn't KVM support VirtIO for network and emulated disk drives? In that case from the point of view of the guest OS it should be absolutely identical.