What hardwar for FreeNas Raid Z2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrice59

Dabbler
Hello,

I'd like to build a Freenas
What do you think about this hardware ?
I know this is not an ECC, but I think ECC will be much more expensive.

• Node 304
  • 650 Watt Corsair CS Series Modular 80+ Gold
  • Asus H87I-Plus (C2)
  • Intel Core i3 4330 2x 3.50GHz So.1150 BOX
  • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit
  • 6 Western Digital Red SATA III 4TB
  • 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit schwarz USB 2.0

danb35

Hall of Famer
Does it have to be a Mini ITX board? If you used a micro-ATX board instead, the SuperMicro X10SLL-S-O costs all of $35 more than your Asus board. ECC RAM is 10-15% more expensive than non-ECC. Total price difference would be about $50. If you had to use Mini ITX, the board gets more expensive--the least expensive Socket 1150, Mini ITX board I can find is $160 US, while a SuperMicro is $180 US, which would run your cost delta up to around $100.

If you're just not willing to make the small step (you're looking at a ~$1500 build here--a $100 cost bump is small) up to ECC, the rest of your hardware looks adequate.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yay. Some that either is too busy to read our stickies or ignores our advice, but now wants us to read HIS post and apparently now he wants our advice....

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I know this is not an ECC, but I think ECC will be much more expensive.

Well, you're wrong. How about you actually run the numbers before spreading around that kind of FUD? Builds with ECC RAM are marginally more expensive, at worst. At best, they can even be cheaper!

indy

Patron
I would consider:
- ECC
- mATX
- a lesser CPU if you do not need encryption
- a lower power PSU

Also what is the purpose of the system?

messerchmidt

Explorer
if you are spending the money versus using old hardware, do it properly and go for the supermicro, ecc ram, and get a xeon ex-1220 v3 as its not much more than the i3.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't agree that a Xeon is necessarily any more "proper" than an i3, a Pentium, or even a Celeron, depending on how the server will be used. ECC will affect your data integrity, and a proper server board will affect integrity and reliability, but the CPU choice will impact only performance, and that will depend on the intended use.

ALFA

Explorer
ECC is not SO expensive
ECC is SO essential for ZFS

SO dont go wrong with this topic, please read about "SDC" (silent data corruption) and you can see why it could save your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.