What about those Archive HDDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindBender

Explorer
Does anybody here have experience with special purpose Archive hard disks? I'm looking at the 8TB Seagate Archive HDD v2 ST8000AS0002, which seems awfully cheap (€ 222,49) for that amount of storage.

It has a couple of drawbacks, as explained here:
http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_archive_hdd_review_8tb
But when used for its purpose, those drawbacks can be lived with. However, these drawback may make these disks less suitable for ZFS. Does anybody have any experience with this specific type of drive?

I would like to use one (or two of them striped together) for making regular incremental backups of my main RAIDZ1 array. Or is that a dumb idea anyway?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's been some discussion of this. The fact of the matter is no one's wanted to be a guinea pig but there's reason to think it'd be likely to work out. ZFS has a tendency to lay out contiguous blocks when it can, so it's a better choice out of the box than some others, and the guys at Nexenta have been looking into ways to make it better.

MindBender

Explorer
There's been some discussion of this. The fact of the matter is no one's wanted to be a guinea pig but there's reason to think it'd be likely to work out. ZFS has a tendency to lay out contiguous blocks when it can, so it's a better choice out of the box than some others, and the guys at Nexenta have been looking into ways to make it better.
Oh, darn; I should have found that post before creating a new topic. I'm sorry Mr. G.
@Admin: Please delete this thread, it is redundant.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There's no harm done. It can be difficult to find threads even when you know what to look for...

Status
Not open for further replies.