We may once again have large optical backup discs in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://gizmodo.com/optical-data-storage-squeezes-360tb-on-to-a-quartz-disc-1759359652

Developed by researchers at Southampton University in the UK, the technique uses femtosecond laser pulses to write data in the 3D structure of quartz at the nanoscale. The pulses create three layers of nanostructured dots, each just five microns above the other. The changes in the structure can be read by interrogating the sample with another pulse of light and recording its polarisation —the orientation of the waves—after it’s passed through.

The team has now written a series of major works to small glass discs— including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Newton’s Opticks, the Magna Carta and the Kings James Bible. The density of the data aboard these discs suggests that they could squeeze a total of 360 terabytes onto a single piece of quartz. They also point out that the data is extremely stable: It could endure for as long as 13.8 billion years at temperatures up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

I remember the days where a couple CD's and then a couple DVD's could effectively back up the majority of what you have available. I am now at a point where even multiple Bluray discs would not be able to effectively and cheaply make a backup of everything. If they can get this into a commercial product and get the price down to around 50 bucks per disc and 250 for a burner in the next couple years it would be a great thing, cheaper would be even better.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I remember hearing something a while back ago about quartz's ability to hold data. It was theoretically some stupid crazy amount. People were thinking those Crystal Skulls may contain data from "Ancient Aliens" or am I thinking of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"?

Anyways, it would be cool to be able to have that ability. My only concern would be if it was brittle and prone to breaking easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.