Want some advice on mirroring boot-pool

tsm37

Dabbler
I'm thinking whether I should mirror the boot-pool drive, which is currently on a single small capacity SATA SSD. I'm on a test environment right now but considering whether I should mirror the boot-pool drive when I convert my test truenas scale box into a live production environment. I'm aware that as long as I have the config file is backed up somewhere, I can just replace the the existing boot-pool drive with a new drive, just do a fresh install of truenas scale on that new replacement drive and then restore the config file. It doesn't sound that difficult.

My ask is that I want to hear from you guys whether or not you mirror your boot-pool drive. Yes, why? If not, why? How did you draw the conclusion of mirroring the boot-pool or not. Your responses will help me think through this matter. Thank you

Arwen

MVP
I would make the decision based on several questions:
  • Do you have easy access to your NAS?
    Meaning is it in a local or remote location?
  • Do you need / want more up time?
    Meaning do you serve others, and around the clock?
  • Last, do you just want your NAS to work for years without much maintenance?
If I had both money and storage ports, I would mirror the boot-pool just to eliminate the lost time of dealing with single boot device failures. My tolerance for hardware failures has dropped over the decades.

tsm37

Dabbler
Thank you. To answer the questions:
-Do you have easy access to your NAS?
Yes, I do

Meaning is it in a local or remote location?
Local

-Do you need / want more up time? Meaning do you serve others, and around the clock?
I don't need to serve a lot of people, but more uptime is always good.

Last, do you just want your NAS to work for years without much maintenance?
Yup, I think this one is a key consideration. I'm coming from Synology, and my old Synology box has served me well for over 6 years without any issues at all, and it was running 24/7 without any hiccups. So yes, I would like to have the same experience in Truenas Scale and understanding Truenas Scale requires skills and knowledge.

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
Oh, one other point for people that may not understand what Mirroring gets you.

Assume a 2 disk Mirror pool, (like a boot-pool). If you get a bad block, instead of reloading the OS and restoring the configuration, ZFS will auto-correct the bad block. This assumes that the Mirror devices have spare blocks available. ZFS would read a block, (either during normal operation or during a scrub), and if it finds a bad block, it will read the block's Mirror. Then re-write the bad block with good data. Thus, fully restoring redundancy.

Thus, even if you get bad blocks on a Mirror pool, server stays up.

olddog9

Dabbler
Arwen,

"If I had both money and storage ports, I would mirror the boot-pool just to eliminate the lost time of dealing with single boot device failures. My tolerance for hardware failures has dropped over the decades."

Amen to that !

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Sadly, the GUI will not allow you to mirror the boot pool more than 2-ways. This is frustrating in case one would like to make copies for offline storage with a known-good boot drive. Doing it via the CLI is potentially possible but that may break every time the system is updated.

tsm37

Dabbler
Oh, one other point for people that may not understand what Mirroring gets you.

Assume a 2 disk Mirror pool, (like a boot-pool). If you get a bad block, instead of reloading the OS and restoring the configuration, ZFS will auto-correct the bad block. This assumes that the Mirror devices have spare blocks available. ZFS would read a block, (either during normal operation or during a scrub), and if it finds a bad block, it will read the block's Mirror. Then re-write the bad block with good data. Thus, fully restoring redundancy.

Thus, even if you get bad blocks on a Mirror pool, server stays up.

Thank you - now I'm completely sold of the idea mirroring boot pool.