Volume State is Unknown after Drive Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lex19lam

Cadet
Hello,

This is my first time posting on the forum, and if any help could be provided that would be great.
I am not experienced in FreeNas, and after following a few guides, I was able to get a working NAS.
Recently, I removed a old drive from a Windows machine, and I decided to attempt to add it to my NAS system for extra storage. It was my fault, but I did not check any of the documentation before plugging the drive into my NAS.
After connecting the hard drive, when I booted, it started of the windows drive due to my bios boot priority not being set properly. I quickly shut it off, and booted into FreeNas, but once it booted in, I got a critical message saying "The Volume Main state is UNKNOWN".

I stopped the machine, unplugged the drive, and changed it back to what it originally was and started the NAS again to get the same message.

These are the console messages that i see at startup,

Code:
Oct 19 01:17:54 FreeNas random: unblocking device.
Oct 19 01:17:54 FreeNas Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-U6 []...
Oct 19 01:17:54 FreeNas GEOM: ada0: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
Oct 19 01:17:54 FreeNas GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (ada0, GPT)
Oct 19 01:17:54 FreeNas GEOM: ada1: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
Oct 19 01:17:54 FreeNas GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (ada1, GPT)
Oct 19 01:17:54 FreeNas GEOM: ada2: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.
Oct 19 01:17:54 FreeNas GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (ada2, GPT)

There was also some message that said it failed to load or import my Main volume, which was not in the console on the web interface.

I am running my NAS on a old HP machine that I re-purpose into a NAS.
It is a duo core computer, and has 8 GB of ram.
I am using 3 Segate 4TB IronWolf Drives running in RAIDZ

This just happened to me, so I am in a bit of a panic.
Sorry if i am violating any rules, but if anyone could provide me with some advice as to whether it I can recover from this, that would be great.
If there is any additional information I need to post, please let me know what is needed and how to get it if it is FreeNas specific as I am not experienced at all.

Thank you for any possible help

danb35

Hall of Famer
Recently, I removed a old drive from a Windows machine, and I decided to attempt to add it to my NAS system for extra storage.
You would not be able to do this in a useful way in any event, though that's a secondary issue at the moment. What's the output of zpool status, zpool import, and gpart show?

lex19lam

Cadet
You would not be able to do this in a useful way in any event, though that's a secondary issue at the moment. What's the output of zpool status, zpool import, and gpart show?
I was planning to configure it as a new separate volume, and use it as a drive of its own to potentially install a VM on it. If I am able to recover, I won't be trying that anymore.
Here is the output after running the three commands:
zpool status
Code:
  pool: freenas-boot															
 state: ONLINE																
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:04:29 with 0 errors on Thu Oct 11 03:49:29
config:																		

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM								
		freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								
		  da0p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								

errors: No known data errors

zpool import
There was no output for this command

gpart show
Code:
=>	  40  30218768  da0  GPT  (14G)										  
		40	  1024	1  bios-boot  (512K)									
	  1064  30217736	2  freebsd-zfs  (14G)								  
  30218800		 8	   - free -  (4.0K)

Here is also some additional information that might be useful:
Build FreeNAS-11.1-U6
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
Memory 7095MB

Thank you so much for your help

lex19lam

Cadet
One more command to try: camcontrol devlist
Output of camcontrol devlist:
Code:
<ST4000VN008-2DR166 SC60>		  at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,ada0)		
<ST4000VN008-2DR166 SC60>		  at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,ada1)		
<ST4000VN008-2DR166 SC60>		  at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass2,ada2)		
<hp DVD-RAM GH40L RB0E>			at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (cd0,pass3)		
<Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 >	   at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,da0)		
<Generic- Compact Flash 1.00>	  at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass5,da1)		
<Generic- SM/xD-Picture 1.00>	  at scbus6 target 0 lun 1 (pass6,da2)		
<Generic- SD/MMC 1.00>			 at scbus6 target 0 lun 2 (pass7,da3)		
<Generic- MS/MS-Pro 1.00>		  at scbus6 target 0 lun 3 (pass8,da4)

danb35

Hall of Famer
That isn't looking good. Your three disks appear to be online, at least to the point where the OS is seeing them. However, their partition tables don't appear to exist any more. I wouldn't expect Windows to have wiped out partition tables it didn't recognize, but pathological behavior isn't unknown under that OS...

lex19lam

Cadet
That isn't looking good. Your three disks appear to be online, at least to the point where the OS is seeing them. However, their partition tables don't appear to exist any more. I wouldn't expect Windows to have wiped out partition tables it didn't recognize, but pathological behavior isn't unknown under that OS...
So does this mean that there is a high chance that I won't be able to recover?
Is there anyway that I am able to recover the data off of the drives with some recovery tool?
I have done it before on a single drive of NTFS, but since it was configured with ZFS RAID, is it possible to recover data from it?
Is there anything else I can try?

danb35

Hall of Famer
So does this mean that there is a high chance that I won't be able to recover?
IMO, yes, but I've seen some others here pull off wizardry that I wouldn't have expected. Let's see if one of them chimes in here. @rs225?

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Did you change ANY setting in the BIOS related to AHCI, RAID, etc?

lex19lam

Cadet
Did you change ANY setting in the BIOS related to AHCI, RAID, etc?
I just checked the BIOS, and it is in AHCI, and I did not touch it, so that shouldn't have change.
There is no native RAID support on the motherboard, so it isn't that either.
The only changes that I made in the BIOS was on the Boot Priority of the drives so it boots to Freenas on the USB

itsalamo

Cadet
*bump
I just checked the BIOS, and it is in AHCI, and I did not touch it, so that shouldn't have change.
There is no native RAID support on the motherboard, so it isn't that either.
The only changes that I made in the BIOS was on the Boot Priority of the drives so it boots to Freenas on the USB

@lex19lam
If this is still an ongoing issue then I would suggest that you keep hoping that there's a remedy...

I ran into a similar issue with 3 out of 3 HDDs (2 in Stripped and 1 3TB). I managed to Google "ZFSUtils-Linux" and was temporarily able to access my ZPool+Dataset off the 1-3TB disk running Ubuntu. However, please confirm with a FreeNAS expert before tinkering because it may make things worst. :rolleyes: Learned from experience. @kdragon75

Status
Not open for further replies.