Using FreeNas with Gluster for high perf storage at low cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tal Bar-Or

Cadet
Hello All,
I am planing of building storage for SAN based (ISCSI/FCOE)with following hardware spec:
3X nodes of
*1 CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5506
*16GB Memory
*6x2TB Sata 3 WD Black WD2002FAEX
*LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i + BBU
* NIC'S 2x1Gig , 1 NIC as console.
*Intel® 82598 10 GbE
*Infiniband Dual Port HCA PCI-E MHGA28-1TC 20GB/S
1x 410398-B21 HP ProLiant BL c-Class 4x DDR InfiniBand Switch

I found the idea behind Gluster ( http://www.gluster.org/ )is great for scaling out size and performance , but i would like to use it with FreeNas frame OS, my question would be if someone had experience with such system and FreeNas and recommendation for it.
Also if someone already have hands-on could share with me how-to would be grate.
Thanks

louisk

Patron
Not trying to suggest you shouldn't be interested in doing this, but gluster isn't a high-performance filesystem. Its a high-scalability filesystem. It runs in FUSE (in user space) and it will never be as fast as a filesystem in kernel space (ZFS, UFS).

I would probably start by googling gluster and freebsd and see what your options are. From there, you can determine if its worth the effort to get that functionality into FreeNAS or not.

Tal Bar-Or

Cadet
Not trying to suggest you shouldn't be interested in doing this, but gluster isn't a high-performance filesystem. Its a high-scalability filesystem. It runs in FUSE (in user space) and it will never be as fast as a filesystem in kernel space (ZFS, UFS).

I would probably start by googling gluster and freebsd and see what your options are. From there, you can determine if its worth the effort to get that functionality into FreeNAS or not.

Thanks for your answer , I understands about FUSE but , i did saw some performance comparison show of a good performance , any way what would you suggest as solution same principle or other to scale out and same time gain more performance?
Thanks

louisk

Patron
No, if that is what you need, just be aware of the performance issues and do a proof of concept to see if it will do what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.