User population from Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricP

Cadet
I have three issues with FreeNAS and the lynch-pin is accounts.

1) All users (we have > 10k but there are 10's of thousands in AD) have accounts in a Windows AD and we use AD authentication via krb5 on RHEL Linux for login - without any machines being in AD. A /home NFS share, currently from RHEL and hopefully from FreeNAS, is used by all client machines and a password file is pushed to all clients to update them when new accounts are created. Trying to do this on FreeNAS failed (master,passwd gets lost with a reboot). The next step was to try and run account creation scripts on all FreeNAS servers forcing U/GIDs with random passwords (as no user should ever be able to log into the FreeNAS servers).

Trying to do that results in out of space errors after a few hundred users:
adduser: ERROR: There was an error adding user (XXYYZZ).
pwd_mkdb: /etc/spwd.db to /etc/spwd.db.tmp: No space left on device
pw: pw_mkdb(): No error: 0

but /etc is only 65% used and / is at 8%
Upon reboot all added users were lost.

But before going down that rabbit hole any more, what is the proper / easy way to do this? Accounts have to be on the FreeNAS servers because quotas are required. Nope - we don't have accounts using Kerberos - our auth. server uses radius.

2) Quotas. I assume that the easiest way is just to create a script that forces a quota for each user individually and it gets run whenever the account database on the auth. server detects a change? The quota script would be created by the auth. server and pushed to the FreeNAS box(s) for execution. By "auth. server" in this case I mean our radius server / monitoring / account creation box.

2) On RHEL we use Samba with server authentication and the password server is AD and as users are logged into Windows machines on the domain - auth. for Samba shares is automatic. However, U/GIDs within AD are not the same as our Linux system. Another IT group ran into this issue and runs their own server for their (historical) U/GIDs - while still auth'ing against the domain. This is too complex for my liking. If simple Samba shares can't be done the way I'm doing them now - then I'll just have a RHEL handle the Samba shares.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have three issues with FreeNAS and the lynch-pin is accounts.

2) Quotas. I assume that the easiest way is just to create a script that forces a quota for each user individually and it gets run whenever the account database on the auth. server detects a change? The quota script would be created by the auth. server and pushed to the FreeNAS box(s) for execution. By "auth. server" in this case I mean our radius server / monitoring / account creation box.
You might be able to write your script to use the freenas API. It sounds like your main problem is that you're trying to go around the middleware's back. Doing it through the API gets around this problem.
For API info, see here:
http://api.freenas.org/resources/account.html

2) On RHEL we use Samba with server authentication and the password server is AD and as users are logged into Windows machines on the domain - auth. for Samba shares is automatic. However, U/GIDs within AD are not the same as our Linux system. Another IT group ran into this issue and runs their own server for their (historical) U/GIDs - while still auth'ing against the domain. This is too complex for my liking. If simple Samba shares can't be done the way I'm doing them now - then I'll just have a RHEL handle the Samba shares.
Try the 'rid' idmap backend and see if it meets your needs. It's simple and generates uids and gids automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.