SOLVED upgraded to faster CPU, TrueNAS keeps hanging, restarting

digity

Contributor
I upgraded the CPU in my TrueNAS Core 12 u8.1 server from a XEON E5-2620 v2 CPU (2.1 GHz, 6c/12t) to a XEON E5-2690 v2 CPU (3.0 GHz, 10c/20t) in hopes of getting better throughput from my 4x 1.6TB U.2 NVMe stripe pool (for VM storage, via 40 Gb NICs). The problem is TrueNAS now hangs for about 30 seconds and then restarts itself whenever a certain amount of data is written to the NVMe pool. To verify this I ran dd to benchmark and TrueNAS hangs almost immediately after a couple of GBs are written. If I dd on a rust/HDD pool TrueNAS runs fine, no hanging. If I pop the E5-2620 v2 CPU back in TrueNAS runs fine again - no hanging & restarting on a load or when benchmarking with dd on the NVMe pool. As another test, I stress tested the E5-2690 v2 CPU for 10+ minutes under an Ubuntu installation and run just fine.

Any ideas why TrueNAS Core is hanging, crashing with the E5-2690 v2 CPU??

P.S. - NVMe HBA is a Linkreal 4 Port PCIe 3.0 x16 to U.2 NVMe SSD Adapter with SFF-8643 Connector (PLX8747 Chipset). Mobo is a ASUS P9X79 Deluxe with 32 GB RAM (non-ECC).

P.P.S - I checked the log for clues (/var/log/messages), but it does not show an entry for the crash time - it just shows the log since the current boot/uptime.

P.P.P.S. - I'm getting only 1000 to 1200 MB/s reads and writes over both the network (CrystalDiskMark on Windows 10) and locally (dd on TrueNAS) with the E5-2620 v2 CPU, in case you're wondering. Hence why I'm trying to upgrade to the E5-2690 v2 CPU.

digity

Contributor
So I upgraded to TrueNAS Scale thinking it was a Core/FreeBSD problem, but Scale hangs too when there's a load on the NVMe pool using the 2690 v2 CPU. Any other ideas?

sretalla