SOLVED Ubuntu VM not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

I'm trying to install an Ubuntu VM with iohyve. The installation process seem to work, I get the installer on the console and run it until it finish and try to reboot.

Then, the VM doesn't reboot. It just shutdown. When I try to start the VM it say:

# iohyve start backupvm
Starting backupvm... (Takes 15 seconds for FreeBSD guests)
[root@nas] ~# GRUB Process does not run in background....
If your terminal appears to be hanging, check iohyve console backupvm in second terminal to complete GRUB process...

So, I try to connect to the console and I get a grub prompt:
# iohyve console backupvm
Starting console on backupvm...
~~. to escape console [uses cu(1) for console]
Connected
grub>

# iohyve getall backupvm
Getting backupvm iohyve properties...
bargs -A_-H_-P
boot 1
con nmdm0
cpu 2
description Thu Apr 13 13:52:26 EDT 2017
install no
loader grub-bhyve
name backupvm
os debian
persist 1
ram 8G
size 50G
tap tap0
template NO
vnc NO
vnc_h 600
vnc_ip 127.0.0.1
vnc_tablet NO
vnc_w 800
vnc_wait NO

What's wrong?

Using FreeNAS 9.10.2-U2.

Thanks.

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Could you release full system specs? Might help someone or myself come up with a solution.

colmconn

Contributor
When you installed your VM did you use a partition layout based on lvm? If so you should try changing the os=d8lvm and the shutdown the VM and restart.

f4242

Explorer
Could you release full system specs? Might help someone or myself come up with a solution.
I just put it on my signature.

When you installed your VM did you use a partition layout based on lvm? If so you should try changing the os=d8lvm and the shutdown the VM and restart.
I used standard partition, no LVM.

Thanks!

Vito Reiter

Some documentation online recommends updating the system after the install of the VM. I'll be honest I'm personally not sure what is happening here, but after a little research I found this thread on GitHub: https://github.com/pr1ntf/iohyve/issues/128 I don't know if that'll do the trick but if it's broken it's worth a shot.

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

I already installed all available FreeNAS updates. I don't understand what he means by when he said he forgotten to do a "freebsd-update install after rebooting the server".

Vito Reiter

Hello,

I already installed all available FreeNAS updates. I don't understand what he means by when he said he forgotten to do a "freebsd-update install after rebooting the server".

I think he is referring to the command to upgrade the plugins that are installed. I'm not sure however, but looking online you're not the only one with this issue.

SavageAUS

Patron
Im running FreeNAS 9.10.2-U2 as well but i dont have a vm tab or even the template for virtualbox.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

f4242

Explorer
I reinstalled my VM using LVM this time (and os=d8lvm) and this is working. Seem like there is a bug with iohyve and non-lvm install.

Status
Not open for further replies.