Two identical Servers Replication but the Pull (second) much lower capacity after replication

akisnas

Cadet
Hello, i've an issue with 2 identical twins SRVS, in replication (Rsync) with identical configuraion, HDDs in mirror 2TB, same compression level Iz4 - ratio 1.09x, the push has available empty diskspace 940.2gb the pull has available empty diskspace 34.7gb!!!
There is no hardware error or damaged disk.
FreeNAS-11.1-U1
Have you any idea what can cause this issue?

2nas.png

Best Regards

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
don't do a push and a pull. you probably have two copies of the data...

Apollo

Wizard
I wouldn't go with RSYNC and expect both pools to be identical.
I would have expected the push to have less space due to snapshots which you don't have on pull, most likely.

akisnas

Cadet
Thank you Chris - Apollo Sirs, so much for your time.
As I remember, the first time of the replication setup all the data were copied from push to pull by hand "Copy - paste".
I wonder what is best, to setup and leave scheduled rsync to Copy data or to Copy - paste data before the First rsynch Schedule?
At First setup i had to do it secure, quick and check if the proccess was stable and without writing errors between two SRV's.
Maybe that was the cause of this issue and the results were dublicated recordings., however the size of the folders and files between pull and push are intentical under root dir!
Anyway, which is the best secured, Free of issues way you suggest (except rsync)?
Best Regards

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
Replication and RSYNC have two different purposes.
Replication though snapshots is the most reliable and less time consuming. When you replicate an entire volume, they will be identical except when snapshots are automatically destroyed when expired on the push. This is expected.
With RSYNC, every time you run it, it will check both push and pull to see which files have been modified and then synchronize the changes. This is time consuming and is no guarrantee you will have integrity of your data. I have add issues in the past on folders and filenames with European characters. This caused havoc on my backup strategy.
The only benefit of RSYNC I can see is the close to realtime backup solution. When a file is modified, it can be pushed fairly quickly. With replication, you need to take a new snapshot first.